Damping Sphere

• Did you ever want a Sphere effect that Shops couldn't really use?

From: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/dominaria-leak-2018-03-08

Damping Sphere
    Artifact
    If a land is tapped for two or more mana, it produces C instead of any other type and amount.
    Each spell a player casts costs 1 more to cast for each other spell that player has cast this turn.

• If multiple replacement effects would modify what mana an ability you control produces, choose one to apply. After that, determine if any others are applicable. A replacement effect can't apply to the same event more than once this way.
    • Damping Sphere's second ability counts spells that were cast during a turn even if Damping Sphere wasn't on the battlefield as they were cast. For example, if Damping Sphere itself is the third spell you cast in a turn, the next spell you cast costs 3 more to cast.
    • To determine a spell's total cost, start with the mana cost (or an alternative cost), add any cost increases, then apply any cost reductions. The spell's converted mana cost remains unchanged, no matter what the total cost to cast it was.

• I like this card. It seems like Shops would be an auto include, but it actually stops Workshop.

Well done Wizards... well done.

• And Eldrazi is back! Boom! How good is this card with eye of Ugin. It slows you down some, it slows down tough matchups more.

• I've been saying drazi were gonna get there sooner or later.

I'm not sure that shops cannot use this though. There are some matches where late game this would be perfectly fine and shut out some other lists. It's similar to how null rod decks run black louts and moxen or how blood moon decks run sol lands.

This card is suitably disgusting on the play after you go land, mox, mox in many decks.

• Spirit Guide, Basic Forest. This.

• This card stops workshop, ancient tombs and academy. It is a MUD deck hoser much better for the format than any kind of restriction. Thank you, Wiz.

A well balanced card in my opinion with lots of potential.

• For me it's more a proactive Storm-hoser than anything else. Now you don't need to wait with Mindbreak Trap or Flusterstorm to react. You can just drop this even if playing with blue and watch storm having to deal with it.
    Seems pretty bad in Shops though since it hoses their mana and the sphere effect only affects the second spell, so you can easily play around this.

• This is the kind of card that "fair" decks have been waiting for to help mitigate the "i lost because vintage" effect. Well designed and playable in multiple decks.

• Looks like a strong LandStill card and very playable in Humans, HateBears maybe BUG. This really hurts combo which is already wounded.

• TMD Supporter

I'm not seeing this as the anti-shops card people are looking for. Granted if you can land it turn 1, while on the play, it can really hamper Shops, but once shops unloads their hand and is playing from the top of the deck (especially if there is a Foundry Inspector in play), I see this hurting you more than them.

Are you really going to dedicate 4 slots to a card that hampers your ability to cast more than one spell?

I do like it in Eldrazi.

At the end of the day, I think this is simply a Sphere effect that isn't synergistic with workshop and well balanced. Very exciting card!

• Super interesting design - god, it just feels god when you get the feeling R&D made something with eternal formats in mind. Eldrazi gets a boost from this and should be fun to brnig out of retirement. What else? Maybe some of those Blue Moon decks that were running Ancient Tomb (and even Thought-Knot in some cases)? And could this see play in an Eldrazi shops decks like the ones with TKS/Smasher that were popular for a while? Slow down opposing shops decks/blue stew decks, make your own shops at least useable for casting big Eldrazi?

Anyway... think its fair to say this set already looks like a massive home run in both game play and flavour. Looking forward to it!

• This won't stop (Paradoxical) storm combo more than other current answers since the archetype already often ran end-of-turn Hurkyl's Recall maindeck. The bigger problem is that more opposing archetypes will have access to a maindeckable hoser.

In other words, in the context of the Storm matchup, this card is more a question of ubiquity than power. Paradoxical Outcome decks, paradoxically, may even win out slightly if these replace some amount of Null Rod slots.

• This card would be much more effective against prison variants of Shops. It is a bit too situational against Ravager Shops given that decks propensity for playing out its hand on turn 1 or 2. This seems aimed for Modern where it hits Tron and Storm as a colorless hoser.

• Don't hit I'm a noob in Vintage : isn't this card a great boon for Oath decks ? They seem to not really try too hard to play more than one spell per turn.

• @bazaarofbaghdad I do not think it would replace null rod, it would be an add on. This card helps your combo match and your workshop match up.

If you are on Blue Stew or LandStill you already have a pyroblast/flusterstorm main deck for PO. This main deck gives you one more thing for them to stop before go off.

You play Defense Grid and they play this you need one more spell before you can get going.

If you are Mentor then you cannot pump him big enough fast enough, and they can catch up.

• Really interesting card design, but I doubt it'll see any play outside of Colorless Eldrazi. Shops obviously doesn't want or need it. I don't think White Eldrazi does either (seems worse than Glowrider, Wingmare, Null Rod, etc).

• @chubbyrain We can also destroy Hrishi's hopes and dreams in every way imaginable, so that's a strong upside to this card.

• Well there goes my Foundry Inspector + Sensei's Divining Top + Sensei's Divining Top + Aetherflux Reservoir Workshop Combo deck. Thanks, WotC.

• I just realized that Mana Flare makes all lands colorless with this card. That is just funny - LOL

• @moorebrother1

No it doesn’t. Mana flare is a triggered ability and mana flare adds the mana, not the land.

Mana flare used to read “it” which was undefined. The card’s oracle has been updated.

Mana reflection is a more complicated interaction. I believe you would get to choose chose which replacement ability and would end up with 2 mana still. I’m not sure on this.

WAF/WHF