@13nova just want to say great informative post. Thank you for writing all this up!

Doomsday has always been one of my favorite cards and decks and I hope there is a good 75 out there after since recent restrictions. It is certainly possible it just requires even more thought and analysis which is one of the great parts of playing the deck to start with in my opinion.

I’ve tried some off the wall lists in the doomsday stack such as running it with Dragon combo and have also tried mono black doomsday with cruel bargains. Those probably weren’t good options. But they were a lot of fun.

@poxeveryturn I myself have tried:

• Careful Study+Unearth combo to shave mana on Laboratory Maniac
  • A handful of Planeswalkers
  • The old Research//Development Kill
  • The Beacon Kill
  • Tinker/Blightsteel Colossus/Time Walk
  • Dark Ritual Storm with Doomsday
  • Flash/Hulk Kill (there isn't a good way to set this up to guarentee a kill because they all require guys)
  • Shared Fate
  • Shelldock Isle, Emrakul, Cloud of Fairies

@13nova the shelldock eisle one was fun I’ve tried that before. Never tried hulk/flash but i can see why that would that issues.

I saw a list trying Barren Glory. I imagine it was horrible and possibly the result of a lost bet, but i would love to see it happen.

What were you doing with the planeswalkers in the stack? What was your plan there? We’re using them in conjunction with Maniac or alone?

@poxeveryturn They were in conjunction with the Laboratory Maniac. They weren't going into piles, but helped start/extend them.

@13NoVa
Great post.
Been handling some family matters and with work, so, that has left me pretty drained and hadn't checked tmd.

You actually echoed most of my concerns/thoughts. The reason for me bringing up Doomsday was the fact that lab maniac is such a compact finish and can be very resilient to hate. I was trying to wrap my head around how to use JVP somewhere in a Doomsday list with Gush and Probe down to singletons.
Jtms would be great but i believe too slow without power. Maybe a one of?
Even running lotus cobra to try and speed us up, is a liability nowadays and without Gush, it totally relies on fetches to generate the mana we need. Would we really benefit from running off color mox in Doomsday without a storm finish?
I'm working on a list and will post soon.
I've just been going back and forth on if I want More than two DRit and an alternate kill or just focus on the maniac finish.

last edited by Ten-Ten

I would use Deathrite Shaman before Lotus Cobra with Gush restricted.

@john-cox The problem with shaman is it does nothing the turn it comes down, meaning you really only want it on turns 1 or 2. Then again, Cobra costint 2 means I don't want it either.

@13nova difference is with a fetch in play and land in the doomsday stack, lotus cobra gives us 2 mana, while shaman would maybe give us 1 that turn. If we aren't looking to "go off" before turn 3, Cobra seems fine as a turn 1-2 play to give us a possible free maniac and free draw from the stack via fetch post Turn 3 Doomsday.
All that being said, I'm not sure I want cobra anymore either way. It's not needed unless we don't have black lotus. Just another option.

@ten-ten I think I play the deck more like I did at Gencon 2013. Here's my list for reference:

[Business] (37)
4 Force of Will
2 Mental Misstep
2 Flusterstorm
2 Thoughtseize
1 Duress
1 Hurkyl’s Recall
4 Gush
4 Preordain
1 Gitaxian Probe
1 Ponder
1 Brainstorm
1 Sensei’s Divining Top
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Merchant Scroll
1 Demonic Tutor
4 Doomsday
1 Fastbond
1 Yawgmoth’s Will
1 Laboratory Maniac
1 Tendrils of Agony

[Mana Sources] (23)
2 Dark Ritual
1 Black Lotus
1 Lotus Petal
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Sapphire
2 Polluted Delta
1 Misty Rainforest
4 Scalding Tarn
3 Underground Sea
2 Tropical Island
1 Volcanic Island
2 Island

[Sideboard] (15)
1 Mountain
4 Ingot Chewer
1 Ancient Grudge
2 Hurkyl’s Recall
1 Teferi’s Realm
1 Thoughtseize
1 Pyroclasm
1 Extirpate
3 Xantid Swarm

Interestingly enough, this was before I went to 4 Gitaxian Probes, so this list is easy to modify.

-3 Gush
-1 Doomsday
-1 Fastbond
-1 Dark Ritual
-1 Mox Emerald
-2 Tropical Island
-2 Scalding Tarn

+1 Mental Misstep
+1 Sensei’s Divining Top
+1 Peek
+1 Treasure Cruise
+1 Dig Through Time
+1 Rain of Filth
+2 Polluted Delta
+1 Swamp
+1 Underground Sea
+1 Mox Ruby

Final List (Without Sideboard)

[Business] (37)
4 Force of Will
3 Mental Misstep
2 Flusterstorm
2 Thoughtseize
1 Duress
1 Hurkyl’s Recall
1 Gush
4 Preordain
1 Gitaxian Probe
1 Ponder
1 Brainstorm
1 Peek
2 Sensei’s Divining Top
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Dig Through Time
1 Treasure Cruise
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Merchant Scroll
1 Demonic Tutor
3 Doomsday
1 Yawgmoth’s Will
1 Laboratory Maniac
1 Tendrils of Agony
[Mana Sources] (23)
1 Dark Ritual
1 Rain of Filth
1 Black Lotus
1 Lotus Petal
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Sapphire
4 Polluted Delta
1 Misty Rainforest
2 Scalding Tarn
4 Underground Sea
1 Volcanic Island
2 Island
1 Swamp

@13nova I just watched @ChubbyRain's latest stream. You mentioned that you put together a more complex Doomsday deck than the ones in the 4 Gush days. Would you be willing to share the list with us here? I am very interested to see it.

Views