October 17, 2017 Banned & Restricted announcement

I think this was more or less what everyone expected? Glad there was no need for a major change 3 days before North American Vintage Champs!

I'm pretty stoked that they're back to waiting a full three months between announcements.

Basic Island makes it another B&R announcement

@ajfirecracker said in October 17, 2017 Banned & Restricted announcement:

Shhh! People will find out about my sweet spec target!

@thecravenone said in October 17, 2017 Banned & Restricted announcement:

@ajfirecracker said in October 17, 2017 Banned & Restricted announcement:

Shhh! People will find out about my sweet spec target!

Investing in Snow-Covered Island? Smart.

This was expected. The announcement was actually a pretty clear 100% bet for "No changes" in Vintage as soon as they had that errata last announcement.
They said they wouldn't change anything before Eternal Weekend and, if they felt they needed to, they'd work a different schedule for Vintage (probably announcing it a few weeks ago or even setting a date right after EW). Since the format seems healthy enough, they didn't have to do either.

@vaughnbros Moonring Island did nothing wrong

As expected, personally i would love more unrestrictions, but that can wait until after EW. Iam still eager to see how the last unrestriction will perform this weekend.

@vaughnbros said in October 17, 2017 Banned & Restricted announcement:

@blindtherapy

Restrict the island subtype!

TBH I usually only play one basic island. If I needed two I could play a snow covered.

@john-cox

The island subtype would include dual lands. You can only play 1 card with Island written on it.

Restricting Island subtype along with Workshop and Bazaar is a scorch earth strategy.

last edited by vaughnbros

@vaughnbros would this also apply to Island Fish Jaconus? You might have an uproar on your hands taking away the Island Fish. That archetype is pretty strong

@poxeveryturn

Yes along with an errata to make sure the Island Fish is once again an Island fish.

@vaughnbros Wow... give every deck with fetches a free 6/8 blocker

@ajfirecracker ironically if you could fetch for the Island fish I think it just dies. I think you have to have an island in play at all times to keep the alive. Card is super broken.

Unless it were also considered its own island... and a new meta emerges.

@poxeveryturn Uncounterable, fetchable 6/8 on turn 2 is also good enough for me.

@fsecco Cant really reliably attack or untap though and under the propsed scenario you'd be giving up any other islands by playing it.

@vaughnbros spreading seas,attack, then fling, then reanimate. Boom. Broken. Only need the perfect draw and like 4 turns of your opponent doing nothing. Grixis Island Fish...

last edited by Guest

@vaughnbros I'd assume that if you're playing a 4 Jasconius deck, you're also playing Spreading Seas. The UUU to Untap is bad, but you don't need that, just fetch for another one! 😉

Views