SMIP # 68: Hour of Devastation Vintage Set Review

http://www.eternalcentral.com/so-many-insane-plays-podcast-episode-68-hour-of-devastation/

Kevin Cron and Steve Menendian review Hour of Devastation for Vintage.

(Note, I actually thought Hour of Devastation was much better and more interesting for Vintage than the most people on the Internet I saw).

Podcast (somanyinsaneplays): Download (Duration: 2:03:12 — 97.5MB)

0:01:00: Announcements
0:03:10: Amonkhet Report Card
0:14:20: Amonkhet Mechanics
0:17:00: The Locust God
0:25:30: Leave//Chance
0:31:20: Hollow One
0:42:10: Solemnity
0:54:00: Mirage Mirror
1:04:30: Abrade
1:12:55: Tragic Lesson
1:26:00: Ramunap Excavator
1:34:45: Bontu’s Last Reckoning
1:40:45: Firebrand Archer
1:44:30: Scavenger Grounds
1:48:30: Nimble Obstructionist
1:53:50: Bloodwater Entity
1:59:00: Crook of Condemnation
Total Runtime: 2:03:12
SHOW NOTES

– Hour of Devastation Visual Spoiler

Contact us at @ManyInsanePlays on Twitter or e-mail us at SoManyInsanePlaysPodcast@gmail.com.

last edited by Smmenen

ok cool. Grasping Dunes was for Thalia btw.

@desolutionist said in SMIP # 68: Hour of Devastation Vintage Set Review:

ok cool. Grasping Dunes was for Thalia btw.

Ah, thanks for the explanation.

I've also corrected the link in the original post. Let us know what you all think!

You can Stifle a Dark Depths trigger, but it's a state-based trigger and will simply trigger again.

I am thoroughly surprised on your decisions on The Locust God. It has options outside of Moon decks. How about Oath? Grisle and Locust play quite nice and make the clock 1 turn faster at minimum. Also you were sayimg how Talrand was cheaper and made "better" tokens. Is 2/2 blue flyer better than a 1/1 UR hasty flyer? Also, Talrand has a "limit" on the tokens it an produce, as does Mentor and Pyro, in cards playable/in hand. Locust God can go "infinite" with several 1 card "combos", such as Glimpse of Nature, Beck//Call, and with enough mana available, skullclamp, plus others I am sure. I was thinking of a RUG oath list, running dack/jace/sylvan library/divining top/manamorphose, that could run a 1 of Glimpse or Beck for the 2 card "lethal damage" combo, alongside your obv cantrips and restricted cards.

With those things in mind, do you both still think it will be a 0 of in top 8's? Turn 1 Oath, turn 2 Locust God, cast Glimpse or Beck with Fluster/FoW backup is GG. That seems quite good IMO, and I think people will try it and succeed.

@Serracollector Sadly Glimpse doesn't work with the Locust God since you only draw a card when you cast a creature spell (not when one ETBs). It does still work with Beck.

I'm trying to make you proud, @Smmenen. Here's what I'll be beta testing in the post-HOU metagame:

That's spicy!

@Serracollector said in SMIP # 68: Hour of Devastation Vintage Set Review:

I am thoroughly surprised on your decisions on The Locust God. It has options outside of Moon decks. How about Oath?

Generating tokens on your side will allow your opponent to trigger Oath. That's not good.

last edited by Smmenen

@Smmenen

I agree with you, except I think he means kill in one turn. Locust god creates an infinite loop with Beck.

last edited by desolutionist

@mickey.nobilis are you seriously doing this? I have this deck on MTGO right now

@Brass-Man Of course, I can't not test a Null Rod deck. Between the Hollow One thread, the podcast, and your Facebook post, I'm absolutely willing to be a flag bearer for this deck. Unfortunately I don't have a MODO-worthy computer right now, so it'll be slow to develop. Let me know if you ever want to talk tech.

Regarding Ramunap Excavator. I think you need to consider how this might fit into W/g Eldrazi with Horizon Canopy and Ancient Tomb. That deck seems like a natural fit for this card. There was no discussion of THAT deck and I think that is a major oversight. Just sayin'.

I will say though that your analysis overall was quite informative and spot on. I think you guys are really learning more and more about card playability and application with every set review and it is showing in the way you value cards and the vast array of possibilities you investigate for each card. I like that it is no longer just about how cards slot into known decks but also what brews might want to use certain cards and what entirely new strategies might employ these cards (i.e the revival of Oshawa Stompy).

Well done!

-Storm

last edited by Stormanimagus

@Brass-Man said in SMIP # 68: Hour of Devastation Vintage Set Review:

@mickey.nobilis are you seriously doing this? I have this deck on MTGO right now

Is it posted anywhere? Would love to see!

@Smmenen it's not anywhere, yet ... I've tested 0 games with Hollow One, but I had a similar "for fun" list with Memnite (Hollow One is a strict upgrade) a while back.

I haven't fully decided on whether I want GSZ or not, and whether I want to splash any colors. I plan on playing a few games this weekend though to get some rough directional data, and I can post what I end up with afterwards!

@Stormanimagus said in SMIP # 68: Hour of Devastation Vintage Set Review:

Regarding Ramunap Excavator. I think you need to consider how this might fit into W/g Eldrazi with Horizon Canopy and Ancient Tomb. That deck seems like a natural fit for this card. There was no discussion of THAT deck and I think that is a major oversight. Just sayin'.

True, but I was very bullish on Ramunap Excavator, which I praised quite a bit. G/W Eldrazi seems like a natural place for him, among others.

Although the format is strangled at the top by Workshops, Mentor, and, to a lesser extent, PO, there is still ample room for innovators to develop new strategies or enhance existing ones with tools from this set.

last edited by Smmenen

You sounded pretty high on Tragic Lesson being a viable card in Vintage Steve, do have an actual home in mind for it, or is that more speculative about it having one in the future?

@Hydra said in SMIP # 68: Hour of Devastation Vintage Set Review:

You sounded pretty high on Tragic Lesson being a viable card in Vintage Steve, do have an actual home in mind for it, or is that more speculative about it having one in the future?

That card is the biggest enigma to me in the set, in terms of being both the most interesting card but also the hardest to know. It hits all of the bells and whistles in my head that scream playable, and also something that would slip under the radar, but it's also the kind of card that's pretty impossible to know until it's been tested out. I'll probably try a singleton in Mentor just to get a feel for it, and then go from there. I'm definitely bullish, but there is a wide scope of possibility for me to be wrong with a low floor as well.

last edited by Smmenen

@Smmenen That's where I'm at with it too, I definitely feel like it can do work, but where and how is kind of the tricky bit. Being able to pick up land to either re-use or filter away is definitely something that has proven useful in the past so it'll likely remain on my radar far longer than most draw does for potential.

I also find it ironic that the card also synergizes well with Kefnet himself, which while probably not good enough in the Mentor world tempts me as a big evasive guy for cheap that blocks most any creature Shops or Eldrazi will throw at you. I know Brian Kelly tested him briefly but the Gush restriction made turning him on unreliable. Maybe this fixes that.

Views