https://scontent-dft4-3.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/18765882_1543932302344604_5550188334935031394_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=3501a86567e8342b4b41da2a7dc83906&oe=59B59204

1BB
Sorcery
Destroy all creatures. Your lands do not untap as normal during your next untap step.

This interests me simply because it is 1 dark ritual away from being amazing. Could this replace Toxic Deluge in Ritual Based Storm lists?

@Serracollector said in Bontu's Last Reckoning:

https://scontent-dft4-3.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/18765882_1543932302344604_5550188334935031394_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=3501a86567e8342b4b41da2a7dc83906&oe=59B59204

1BB
Sorcery
Destroy all creatures. Your lands do not untap as normal during your next untap step.

This interests me simply because it is 1 dark ritual away from being amazing. Could this replace Toxic Deluge in Ritual Based Storm lists?

No this is worse than Deluge for several reasons. Particularly when you consider the type of deck you would want this effect against; you want your lands to untap.

last edited by Guest

The double black and not being able to take out Blightsteel probably kills it.

last edited by BazaarOfBaghdad

alt text

This is a three-mana unconditional wrath. Toxic Deluge is usually better, yes, but you can end up in situations against fat decks like Eldrazi or Shops where the life you need to pay is prohibitive. The enemy can close the door on you.

This bad boy doesn't close nothing. You can always afford to pay some tempo tomorrow for a cheeseburger today.

That double-black is pretty gnarly, though.

Now that we can run eight three-mana Wrath effects... should we?

I remember when Black used to not be able to kill Akroma...

Goes well with As Foretold? Maybe?

Like I said, its also castable off a Dark Ritual, or Mox Jet/Mox Opal/Chrome Mox/Lotus Petal/Black Lotus/Dr. Shaman. Also it, unlike Deluge, guarantees the death of all Monks, no matter how big they are or how high the storm count is. I think it will see Vintage play.

This is a fun card to speculate on because it could go either way.

Not being able to untap lands for a turn is a pretty bad tempo play. But if any format can support it, Vintage is it.

Paradoxical outcome and other combo lists would be interested in this card potentially.

Or this loss of lands could be a much bigger cost than players expect it to be.

Verdict: people will try it, it will fail in most archetypes, but in the long run, it will show up every once and a while.

@Serracollector said in Bontu's Last Reckoning:

Like I said, its also castable off a Dark Ritual, or Mox Jet/Mox Opal/Chrome Mox/Lotus Petal/Black Lotus/Dr. Shaman. Also it, unlike Deluge, guarantees the death of all Monks, no matter how big they are or how high the storm count is. I think it will see Vintage play.

Yeah but no one is going to play more than 1- 2 spells in response to Deluge, if they do, it's because they're casting a FoW on your Deluge...

last edited by Guest

I wish we still had unrestricted Gush to reset those tapped lands.

last edited by Guest

On topic, I think in the specific case of playing against Eldrazi, Bontu's Last Reckoning feels better to me than Toxic Deluge. Using Deluge to kill a reality Smasher is often a game loss.

I'm not personally interested in the card because I don't feel like black mana isn't where I want to be in the format right now – for the right deck, though, I could definitely see the card being correct. Grixis Thieves, maybe?

I'm not against the card in a storm deck, I think it probably buys you more time than it costs you against an aggressive Workshop or Eldrazi deck, even with the untap clause.

Aesthetically, I love the art, the name, and the concept. It's been a long time since I really liked a fictional name on a Magic card. They used to call cards "Minion of Tevesh Szat." "Bontu" is pretty cool sounding.

Substantively, I agree with Brassman. It's probably better against Eldrazi than Toxic Deluge, and also notable that it can easily be played off of a Dark Ritual without much drawback.

I don't like this in comparison to deluge. With deluge I can keep my Tasigur and kill their Mentors netting me board advantage. This does not do that. It also means that, likely, my opponent will profit more from this than I will with the "tapping lands" clause.

last edited by John Cox

While I am not a fan of this card, I think there is an argument to be made that it's at least worth trying as a foil for Eldrazi or Aggressive Shops. Typically those decks try to unleash their attackers as quickly as possible, so if you can take down 2-3 of their creatures, I'm not sure losing a turn is that big of a deal. Once those decks have deployed 4-5 cards, they are quickly in top deck mode. Every turn that the game is prolonged, the Shops/Eldrazi deck gets weaker (**typically)

I still think 3 mana is tough for this conditional effect, and it still doesn't stop Factories, extra Ballista damage, Fleetwheel, or Hangarback Walker. I think it's one of those cards that will shine when the stars align (knock out a Revoker, Ravager, and Lodestone), but more often than not you'll wish it was something else.

Definitely worth a look though. Thanks for sharing-

last edited by joshuabrooks

@John-Cox said in Bontu's Last Reckoning:

I don't like this in comparison to deluge. With deluge I can keep my Tasigur and kill their Mentors netting me board advantage. This does not do that.

Well you are comparing the cards in a situation where you have Tasigur in play in some deck you've crafted. Clearly a symmetrical Wrath benefits the creature-less deck. What's your point in pointing this out?

Views