Team Draft Super League Fails for Me

After faithful attendance to weekly sessions of VSL, I decided to bite the hype of watching the Team Draft Super League. Randy's preview video was good, but that was about it. I was only able to watch it on youtube where they didn't (couldn't?) record the draft, which was probably the most intriguing part. Then the commentary - oh boy, each session felt significantly worse than ANY VSL team pair. I tried to get into the Amonkhet cards also, but I guess they don't stack up favorably compared to Vintage. With combat tricks, the pace of play is so noticeably slower too - painfully so. I felt like I wasted a couple hours of my life. Different reactions anyone?

I mostly only watched the draft itself. Ben Stark is one of the most insightful people for team draft (and draft in general), but doesn't sugar coat his opinions so that might bother some people.

I do think, though, that the problem with team draft is that it is really fun to play, but not to watch. People are playing bad draft decks. The drafting is the interesting part. However team draft suffers from the same problem as vintage in that it's a format few people have played so the average Magic player won't understand what's going on.

last edited by diophan

Even the most interesting streamers are less interesting when they draft the current set. I can keep Todd Stevens or Paul Cheon on with my girlfriend in the room, but even without game knowledge she notices when the commentator isn't excited to be streaming Amonkhet.

Fun fact, I have to pick someone other than Rich Shay when she wants to share the living room because his commentary between games weirds her out.

last edited by Guest

@The-Gremlin-Lord said in Team Draft Super League Fails for Me:

Fun fact, I have to pick someone other than Rich Shay when she wants to share the living room because his commentary between games weirds her out.

.... Why is that? Does she love Gremlins and dislike Atogs?

@The-Atog-Lord said in Team Draft Super League Fails for Me:

.... Why is that? Does she love Gremlins and dislike Atogs?

"This guy knows way too much about falafel and it's really weirding me out."

"This guy knows way too much about falafel and it's really weirding me out."

There's an obvious reason that I know a lot about falafel...

@The-Atog-Lord
Is it because falafel is an artifact and grants you +2/+2?

I have zero interest for this League. I just hope next VSL season would start soon...

Wayyyyyy off topic but all this talk of Falafel reminded me of This little chestnut from 1994...who need falafel when you have...

Spoilt Hummus!

Spoilt Humos!!

last edited by BandsWithOthers

I love these old Magic comics. They were great.

@The-Atog-Lord I might Actually collect newer sets if the Foglios were still involved in MtG. I guess they just don't sell as much Mountain Dew to 12 year olds...

@BandsWithOthers Bring back original text Rukh Egg!

@vaughnbros Well y'know they did it with Time Vault...

I would gladly be the first in line to play Uba Egg Stax, Thirst for Knowlegg and of course replacing Narcomeba in Unmask Dregg.

@BandsWithOthers Rukh Egg works under most dredge hate cards, with exception to Leyline and RIP. It would be wonderful. It would also probably have to be restricted because of that, but still. Better than it being completely unplayable.

@vaughnbros Hah! I wonder which would be a faster track: unrestriction of one of the many cards that have been discussed, or a re- errata of Rukh Egg...

Views