I try not to ask for much, but I think it would be pretty cool if we, as a community, provided deck names for the MTGGoldfish repository of decklists on a regular basis. I love reading decklists, but having non-descript names like UBR and WUBRG just isn't doing it for me. Heck, if it weren't for the picture of Harsh Mentor I would have assumed UBR was Grixis Thieves (it's not, it's UR Delver, the B is for the Ravenous Traps in the board). If you're bored and looking for something to do, please either contribute names or upvote pending names so that we have some semblence of care in our data catalog: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/vintage

Thanks a ton, everyone!

Nah, the automatic deck names are fine.

Yeah! I use mtgGoldfish a lot, so I try to remember to suggest names about once a week.

Don't forget, the decklists are sorted by an automated process, which might lump a few similar decks together. Try to keep names general, to avoid things like every URW Mentor deck being called "Mystic Mentor" and every BUG Control deck being called "Team Leovold", regardless if the titular cards are in those lists.

This doesn't seem to be panning out so well since the "UBR" deck still hasn't been renamed despite being Top 4 in the format.

@The-Gremlin-Lord That and Mentor is still called Mystic Mentor. No one even uses Mystical Tutor in the deck that is placing. Same with Nahiri Control. There isn't any Nahiri's in those lists.

The original "Mystic Mentor" played Mystic Remora, I believe. Not that anyone remembers the first word of Mystic Remora.

@mediumsteve said in Deck Names on MTGGoldfish:

The original "Mystic Mentor" played Mystic Remora, I believe. Not that anyone remembers the first word of Mystic Remora.

It's "Cumulative."

That site believes I am secretly Nahiri, the Harbinger.

last edited by brianpk80

I have just stopped using mtggoldfish after they havent done anything to this in year.

Last night I had an epic match against Nahiri Control with my Tezzeret Control deck. My opponent doesn't play Nahiri and I don't play Tezzeret; in fact I only play 10 artifacts, all the regular mana producers.

@yugular

Maybe we can come up with an alternative

@Brass-Man

Can we add an organized vintage results section similar to what mtgoldfish has?

last edited by desolutionist

@Brass-Man

Just a catalog of tournament results. Morphing.de doesn't do it anymore and mtgoldfish cycles them out of the database. I suppose there is mtgtop8.com, but it would be cool if there was a strictly vintage deck database with accurate names, statistics, dates, searching tools, etc.

It would be neat, but a dedicated deck database would take a lot of technical effort. I also doubt we'd get the community buy-in to support it. We can't even get people to click the "suggest a new name" button on MTGGoldfish, I don't know why they'd bother doing that on TMD.

TCDecks seems to be the current standard for Vintage results. It's what SMIP uses and it's the only place I've been submitting decks.

@desolutionist said in Deck Names on MTGGoldfish:

@Brass-Man

Just a catalog of tournament results. ... mtgoldfish cycles them out of the database.

Partially true, if you click on a user's name, it still has a record of all their decklists that were ever live on the site.

@BazaarOfBaghdad said in Deck Names on MTGGoldfish:

@Brass-Man

Just a catalog of tournament results. ... mtgoldfish cycles them out of the database.

Partially true, if you click on a user's name, it still has a record of all their decklists that were ever live on the site.

Also, if you search for a particular card in decks, you can set a date range going backwards in time arbitrarily far. For instance: http://bit.ly/2qBw1R1

@Brass-Man

sorry man but that isn't true. I've 3-1ed several times with Goblins and 5c prison in 2015- early 2016 as well as several other decks more recently such as TNT and those lists used to be on the site and aren't anymore. Not to mention other formats that I used to play on mtgo; they're completely gone. Literally dozens of my decks are missing, that used to be there.

last edited by desolutionist

@desolutionist Ok, after checking some more, we're both partially right. By clicking on a username it goes back to site inception, but only shows their last 20 decks.

@nucleosynth said in Deck Names on MTGGoldfish:

@Brass-Man

Also, if you search for a particular card in decks, you can set a date range going backwards in time arbitrarily far. For instance: http://bit.ly/2qBw1R1

What I love about that link is that even there, the first deck listed is "Nahiri Control" by someone called brianpk80...

Also, there is a tendency to vaporize my results into thin air. Two 4-0's from last week have now vanished into the ether and the result from TPG last month should be first place, not second. This is pretty consistent with the movement on VSL to assign the origin of every deck I play to a different creator. Fortunately, I've received so much goodwill from the community that it's more of an amusement now than an actual headache.

😄

last edited by brianpk80
    Views