I'm taking my 9 year old and 15 year old to the Innistrad pre-release on Saturday. Neither has ever played MtG before but both have gotten a crash course the past few days. They have no delusions of winning anything but think it would be a great blast. Since my wife and 12 year old will be out of town I can either take them with me or skip the tournament. Guess we all win.
At any rate, I'm planning on printing out the following cheat sheet for them to use. The purpose is to remind them of the basics. Not teach strategy. Just walk them thru a game well enough that they dont have a judge called over every 2 seconds. Just wondering if there is anything here others would take out or anything else they would add in:
Phases of a turn
- Untap – active player untaps all permanents in play. No other actions may be taken’
- Upkeep – Check all permanents in play to see if any have upkeep abilities
Both players get the opportunity to play instants or activate abilities
- Draw step – Active player draws a card. Both players get opportunity to play instants or activate abilities
- Main Phase 1 – Active player may put 1 land into play, play instants, sorceries, or play any permanent (creature, artifact, enchantment, planeswalker). Inactive player may play instants in response to active players actions
a) Declare attackers
b) Declare blockers
c) Deal damage
Both players may play instants or activate abilities in between each step.
- Main Phase 2 – See main phase 1. Note if a land was played in Main phase 1, another may not be played
- End phase – Check all permanents or delayed abilities for ‘end of turn’ triggers. Each player may play instants or activate abilities. When all else is done, discard down to 7 cards.
Playing spells/Activating abilities
- Must have priority – active player has priority. Inactive player only gets priority when active passes.
- Determine costs
- Pay costs
- Put spell/ability on stack. Ability does not leave stack and have its affect until both player pass priority
- Spell resolves meaning you do whatever the card text says.
- Discard – put a card from your hand into the graveyard.
- Sacrifice – put a permanent from the battlefield into your graveyard
- Permanent – An enchantment, creature, planeswalker or artifact that is in the battlefield.
- Spell – A card that is on the stack waiting for its affects to happen
- Card – any ‘card’ in the library, hand or graveyard zones
- Spell/ability cost – the resources needed to pay for a spell or ability. For a spell it is the symbols in the upper right hand corner. For an ability it is everything before a : in the card text
- LIFO – Last In, First Out – spells resolve from the stack in the opposite order they were placed there.
- Library – a face down stack of cards that you draw new cards from.
- Hand – cards that are visible only to you. These are the cards you have to play with at any given time
- Battlefield – Where cards become permanents for repeated or continual use
- Graveyard – Where cards when they are discarded, sacrificed or leave the stack
- Stack – Where a spell or ability is after its cast/activated, but before it resolves and has an effect on the game.