Rules of the Road: A Look at the Early Rules of Magic

http://www.vintagemagic.com/blog/old-school-magic-chapter-10-rules-of-the-road/

This article was one of the most challenging to research and write, but it was ultimately very rewarding.

I systematically examine differences between early sets of Magic and rules editions to identify possible rules areas to revive for Old School play. Also very relevant for Type I and magic historians.

Let me know what you think,

Stephen

last edited by Smmenen

Very fascinating article, thanks a lot for sharing!

Great article Stephen! I'm curious (for dialogue sake) which of these historic rules you'd like to see reincorporated into contemporary Vintage if you could.

@joshuabrooks

That's easy: the functionality of the Wishes. That's not difficult to do, either.

Thanks for the kind words.

last edited by Smmenen

@Smmenen said in Rules of the Road: A Look at the Early Rules of Magic:

@joshuabrooks

That's easy: the functionality of the Wishes. That's not difficult to do, either.

That's the only one you miss? I'm impartial, though I enjoyed mana burn (and interrupts), but guessing (at least interrupts) would be really hard to reinstate.

And I agree, wishes would make total sense. It's intuitive, in the spirit of the game, and wouldn't have any downside.

last edited by joshuabrooks

@Smmenen said in Rules of the Road: A Look at the Early Rules of Magic:

@joshuabrooks

Agreed. I was hoping Coax from the Blind Eternities would bring about an errata to the wishes to use similar wording. A few months later, however, Burning Wish was reprinted without the exile zone clause. Dashed hopes.

I loved the article, and learned a little bit about the Fifth Edition of the rules that I didn't know before. The whole article has been wanting to reinstall Shandalar and use damage prevention windows.

Fantastic article. Thorough and informative.

Thank you. It's a very unique subject, one I do not believe has ever before been attempted in the history of the game, and a very valuable resource (I hope) to Old School players.

last edited by Smmenen
    Views