Banned and Restricted Announcement 3/13/2017 or I Always Feel like Somebodies Watching Meeeee....

No changes but an interesting blurb.

alt text

"For Vintage, data is often difficult to gather because the sample size is so small. However, we have a large data set coming with the European Eternal Weekend Vintage Championship at the beginning of April. We'll be watching that tournament closely. For now, we are watching the results, and continuing to listen to feedback from the community."

last edited by nedleeds

Quite truthfully, I think the line:

R&D met earlier this month to review several formats—notably Standard and Vintage

was the key point. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during that conversation! I am most curious about what was discussed in regards to vintage - there are so many options: mentor, phyrexian mana, sphere/thorn -based decks, blue draw engines... take your pick!

I would have liked to see things get removed from the list, but in lieu of that happening having nothing new get restricted is a good move in my book.

Phyrexian Mana needs to go in a bad way. The last round of VSL was laughable, more probing than a Colorectal clinic. Everyone had perfect information for free and it was just miserable. Start with Misstep and Probe and free about 20 other interesting blue cards from purgatory. In a vacuum Gush maybe has a higher power level but I'd like to see Gush in a world without free perfect information for neutral cards and +1 mana. Wouldn't it be insane to actually have to make a decision to play your Mentor without knowing exactly what removal or stack interaction your opponents had?

That article felt like a dig at our community for being too small for typical B&R evaluations.

I'd argue there isn't nearly enough Vintage being played (or reported) to merit the same B&R cadence as something like Type II which is played ad infinitum. Once a year would probably be fine unless something absolutely absurd gets printed (like non Misstepable Ancestral Recall).

Starting to lose faith that the format will ever be balanced again. I guess they are content with the format revolving around Gush and Mentor.

@vaughnbros said in Banned and Restricted Announcement 3/13/2017 or I Always Feel like Somebodies Watching Meeeee....:

Starting to lose faith that the format will ever be balanced again. I guess they are content with the format revolving around Gush and Mentor.

Is that imbalanced? 😛

@ajfirecracker Revolving around 2 unrestricted cards is not balanced to me no. Every deck choice needs to be made with them in mind.

Vintage players being like "SENPAI NOTICED ME???"

In all seriousness, how disappointing.

Personally satisfied with the announcement ... still not 100% sure how I feel about the metagame / community / b&r list, my relationship to those three things and their relationship to each other ... but largely fine with no changes here.

I was wishing for a new bicycle and didn't get it. I fucking hate this game.

At least Vintage got mentioned. Poor legacy, they don't even care.

@The-Gremlin-Lord You think it was a dig at us? Check out the comments on Legacy. (Hint: There were none because Legacy does not exist, lol.)

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see the comment from yesterday ninja'ng me

last edited by MaximumCDawg

Not being mentioned in B&R announcements is a good thing, not a bad thing.

"They didn't mention Rebecca or Louis in the crime section this week; they must not care about them..."

last edited by wappla

@wappla said in Banned and Restricted Announcement 3/13/2017 or I Always Feel like Somebodies Watching Meeeee....:

Not being mentioned in B&R announcements is a good thing, not a bad thing.

That's only true if the format doesn't actually need an (un)restriction. Sticking your head in the sand is worse than facing whatever the problem is

@ajfirecracker yeah ok... but since there isn't a problem, it is true.

Views