TheManaDrain.com
April 19, 2014, 05:07:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Karma - Chinese Tolarian Academy (Winner chosen!)  (Read 3356 times)
Cruel Ultimatum
Full Members
Basic User

froz3nn
View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2013, 10:35:12 PM »

I want it!

Despite starting around the start of judgement, a lot of the cards me and my friends had were old. Gaea's liege was the shit, and everyone of us wanted more of them. Looking now on starcity that you can buy them for .50 each would have been pretty crazy for me to hear at that time. Also, it seemed like the only rare I ever opened in judgement was burning wish, at the time, I thought when you cast it, you could just pull out your binder and take whatever card you wanted.

ECW
Pizzatog
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2013, 12:48:34 AM »

I want it!

My ultimate deck featured MUNDUNGU, Propaganda, every single counterspell I could get and my only win condition was Feldon's cane.
I actually won a tournament with it, against all freaking odds. Beat a white weenie tempest era deck, a red land destruction deck, and a green/white/blue control thing. It also had something like 100 cards in it.

blah.
xouman
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2013, 03:13:15 AM »

I want it!

I'm going to make a brief story prior to explain my first kitchen table deck :p

I started playing magic on 1995 summer, when a friend came with 5 monocolored decks and each friend played one deck, all against all (quite caothic). Decks were quite well designed by that time, as red played >20 goblins, blue featured counterspells and control magics... and black was awesome. We played a couple of afternoons and decided to buy each a deck, so we packed 3 week's paid (we were 14 yo) and buy a 60 cards pack. 2 or 3 sundays each month we go to buy single cards, exchange, or buy a booster.

After a couple of months, I decided to play URB, with no duals (they were maybe expensive, but the main reason was my friends played monocolored decks and I wasn't familiar with duals), but still playing double colored costs: royal assassin, sengir vampire, sorceress queen, counterspell... the deck was probably something like that:

7 island
7 swamp
6 mountain
2 royal assassin
2 will o' the wisp
2 sengir vampire
1 sorceress queen
2 unholy strength
2 terror
4 lightning bolt
2 incinerate
2 fireball
1 desintegrate
2 rock hydra
3 counterspell
4 control magic
2 prodigal sorcerer
2 pirate ship
2 power sink
1 spell blast
2 lapsus
2 seasinger

more or less (some of the 2's would be 1, i played lots of singletons). by alliances i added contagion, paladin of lim dul,pyrokinesis... by 1997 it was just reduced to BR, since I noticed (finally) that counterspells were most of the time sitting on my hand. i sleeved dark rituals (have one or two from the beginning, but hated them because they just gave mana and nothing more), but by 1999 i played monored, a very different deck (but still very casual)
KrauserKrauser
Community Adepts
Basic User

THAT ART!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2013, 02:50:26 PM »

I want it!

The deck that got me into constructed Magic was a deck based on Soldier of Fortune and Psychogenic Probe.  Shuffle and Take 2!

Eventually that turned into a deck based on Underworld Dreams, Psychogenic Probe and Winds of Change.  Then just Underworld Dreams, Winds of Change and Teferi's Puzzlebox.  Then just Underworld Dreams and Blue cards.  Then just Blue cards.  And then Vintage.  A natural evolution from imagined brokeness to actual brokeness.

Share your passion for the Art of Magic the Gathering!

www.originalmagicart.com
PhilipJFry
Basic User

I am my own grandpa!

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2013, 03:19:54 PM »

I totally would love to get that wonderful card.

I have two stories.  My first cards were a Revised Starter deck that I got at Target for $6.99, which was a ton of money for me at the time.  My rares were Kudzu and Savannah.  It took a few more weeks before I could get a couple more boosters, but I finally had enough cards where I was willing to divide the cards in half and play against my younger brother. 

Anyhow, we had a nice long game, right up until the point where he was about to win, and I played, and then the next turn activated, Nevinyrral's Disk.  Suffice it to say, my brother was not happy.  His unhappiness was expressed by him taking the remainder of his deck (or maybe mine, I don't remember), and throwing it across the basement.  Parental involvement was required.  We didn't play Magic together anymore after that.

The other story is a few years later, when I was in high school.  A bunch of guys got together for a mini "tournament."  This was right after Tempest came out, I believe.  Anyhow, I was playing a red deck, that was actually trying to be good.  You know, 60 cards, no garbage, etc.  Anyhow, I was matched up against one fella whose deck was about 200 cards.  I proceeded to have the worst luck ever, couldn't draw well to save my life, and lost in a quick 0-2.  The host of this tournament happened to have a sword in his house.  I am not sure why.  but I subsequently decided my decks failure needed to be responded to by whacking the deck a few times with the sword. 

I guess my brother and I really are related.  I like to think I am much more mellow now. 

An AMAZING play by mentally ill newcomer Philip Fry!

- The head of Penn Jillette, Futurama: Into the Wild Green Yonder
Metman
Basic User

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2013, 11:47:49 AM »

I want it!

I used to have a control deck that ran Peacekeeper and Millstone and a ton of counters to protect the Peacekeeper. It was painfully slow but I loved the control element of the deck. Still to this day I have to apologize to my friends for the months I rocked that deck.

Recently moved to West Phoenix and looking for Vintage players. Please PM me.

Check out my Vintage Magic Blog
http://vintagemagicponderings.blogspot.com/
serracollector
Basic User

serracollector@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2013, 06:12:05 AM »

I would very much like that card as I am very slowly getting back into Vintage.

Anyways, in 1994 when I started Magic, since green was my favorite color, green it was.

My deck simply revolved around Llanowar Elves, Scryb Sprites, Giant Growth's, Erhnam Djinn's, Ghazban Ogre's, and my 2 fatties were Force of Nature and Gaea's Liege. Instill energy and Gaea's Liege won me many a countertop game.  Also casting Giant Growth on Scrybsprites to kill Serra Angel's and Sengir Vampires and Hyppies was always nice.  Giant Growthing Ghazban Ogres to kill Juzaam's was just silly.  Man I loved Giant Growth.  The good ol' days.

B/R discussions are not allowed outside of Vintage Issues, and that includes signatures.
InfectedMushroom
Basic User

ChrisF9800@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2013, 02:16:34 PM »

I want it!

I first got into MtG by watching two of my friends play. After that, I promptly made my mom and aunt drive me all over to find packs to put together decks. This was around The Dark and Fallen Empires. My sister and I learned how to play, and slowly realized all the mistakes we were making. Soon enough, my dad and little brother started playing. I liked playing decks with lots of counters, and my dad loved playing big creatures and using combat to win. It was great because we could all play and just put together different decks and have a blast playing.

As the years went on, I got more into trying to learn and better my decks. Looking back, we still played really bad decks...but we had fun. I didn't get into Type 1 tournaments until around 2000-2001, and I spent a lot of time on BD.

Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?

Reppin 6 town.
Royal Ass.
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2013, 03:26:40 AM »

I want it.

My first cards were a starter pack of Revised (like many other's I'm sure).  I remember the first time I played against an actually well build deck when playing someone outside of my playgroup.  It was at boy scout camp and I played an older guy who had a control deck that used Serra Angel.    I remember the deck also had Maze of Ith.  I'd never seen that card and this guy would destroy me every game.  Then my friends and I all had to get Maze of Ith.  I remember my friend's mom got him a Shivan Dragon.  He was a rich kid.  The card was $15 and I couldn't believe someone would pay that much for a card.  (I just bought a Summer Blue Elemental Blast today...)  His dog later bit into that Shivan Dragon!  Karma!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pa4W7iA5So
Ci sono cose che succedono ai Vivi, non ai Morti.
The Wolf
Basic User

Draftmagic.com

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2013, 04:30:12 AM »

I want it!!!! 
My first deck was a ice age starter deck.  Nothing more and nothing less.  I used to play it against my friend who opened a jester cap and would always loose when he cast it cause I wouldn't have enough guys to kill him.  This went on for a while till we finally got some more money.

DraftMagic.com - The best draft caps on the net.

Team Hadley Gets Me Wet
Methuselahn
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2013, 04:44:40 AM »

I want that.

My first days of magic were back when Ice Age/Homelands first came out.  I had a severe case of too many combos crammed into one deck.  However, 4 Demonic Tutors lessened that issue.  One of my earliest and most prized possessions was a deck that contained 4 Sengir Autocrats, Fallen Angel, Enduring Renewal, and of course, 4 tutors.  I had gotten 4 scrublands cheap (go figure) so the deck was obviously viable with such great dual lands.  I had eventually dropped Ornithopter, Ashnod's Altar and Fireball for creatures I could get back, replay, and feed to my awesome Legends brand Fallen Angels.  My college roommate at the time had a Lord of Atlantis deck and one of the highlights of this era was combat tricks, drinking beer, interrupts and figuring out the rules as we went.

good times.
merfolkOTPT
Basic User

buddyhllyglasses
View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2013, 07:38:03 AM »

I want it!

I remember playing with my brother sometime around Urza's Saga with my sweet Angel Tribal deck with 2-3x Urza's Incubator and Radiant Archangel on a kitchen table against his WB Serra Angel and Sengir Vampire Deck.  Neither one of us wanted to attack, so the board just got bigger and bigger, eventually convering the whole table.  I finally true some crusade effect or something, and figured i had enough guys to win so I swung in with my entire half of the table.  My brother BLEW ME OUT, with a Zuran Orb.  I had never seen the card before but I assumed it was bad since it was a 0 mana cost artifact, oops.  That game must have lasted at least 3 hours, I feel like that is what I think of whenever anyone mentions Casual Magic.
infant_no_1
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2013, 04:33:50 PM »

I want! That looks WAY better than my English one. Smile

I'm sure my first deck was absolutely crap, but my favourite 1v1 deck we called "All Checked Out' It was a Stasis/Serra Angel/Chaos Orb deck.
Favourite multiplayer deck was Lord of the Pit, Nether Shadow, Ashen Ghoul deck. We used to get 10+ player games going at that time & they hated me for being able to recur anything I wanted.

RisingWater
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2013, 01:22:27 PM »

One more day!

Last Call!

@TheTolarian
H
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2013, 04:50:06 PM »

I want it!

I started playing just after Mirage came out and my first deck that wasn't just a pile of forests and the biggest green creatures I could find, was a 5 color "good stuff" deck.  I use the term good stuff very loosely, it was really built to have the original Nicol Bolas in it, and it fielding such other gems as Reflect Damage, Energy Bolt, and I am pretty sure only had green for an Asmira, Holy Avenger.  The deck's only five-color land was a single beat City of Brass and eventually I saved enough money to buy a Badlands for it.  It was probably about 75 cards or so, I can't recall what else was in it though.  It had no where near enough lands over all and it never won, except the few times we played Emperor games.  Mono blue control was my first "real" deck, every counterspell ever and Icy Manipulators with Winter Orbs.  The win con was a single Millstone.  It actually wasn't terrible, it probably won a decent percentage of it's games, although I am probably just nostalgic about it.

"The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order
Protoaddict
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2013, 12:59:45 AM »

I want it!
Also do not actually own one anymore, English, Chinese, or anything.

I started playing magic when I was a young kid, probably what would be called a tween now. I started playing around Arabian but bough some unlimited cards before that as collectibles (I collected marvel cards before that)

My favorite memory revolves around some great luck. There was this one player at the local store that used to have unopened boxes in the back of his car. He would use them for trades and such. He had boxes mostly of Antiquities and Legends. I really wanted to pack of Arabian so I was trying to trade the kid for it and just could not get him to agree to a trade that he wanted to make (packs of Arabian were like 20 bucks or something back then). Now as a young kid I was completely ignorant of my trade so he was already asking me for like $40 in cards. So I did what any 12 year old does and I taunted him. I somehow convinced him to play me in a match, and we anted my trade pile vs his pack.

This kids deck was a red black, well tuned monster. Bolts, Juzam Djinns, the work. My deck was a green white stuff I liked deck, very much a kitchen table deck i played with my brothers at home. It was not very good, there were a lot of one ofs just because. Anyways we get into a game, there is a lot of back and forth and near the end of it I'm sitting on a island sanctuary with no creatures on the board while he has an army. Hes losing life every turn to Juzam, and originally my thought was I'm just going to sit on this island and either mill him or let his jin eat him. On one of his draws he drew and played drain life on me. Was not for lethal but he had to so he would not die to his own army in the next turn. So now i know i cant sit on my island or i will lose, but if i draw i probably will lose as well.

I drew. Balance. Windmilled it and wiped his whole board, both of us to 0 cards. He took his next turn and did nothing. Next turn saw me land a Serra angel. From that point the game was pretty much over. I sat on the sanctuary the rest of the game till my angel got there.

So he gave me the Arabian pack. He was red faced mad about it too. Rip it open right then and there. Pulled a Juzam Djinn and a kird ape. To this day it was probably the best pack I ever opened, later traded the Djinn for some duals and wrath of gods.

This is my podcast:

Http://www.fantasticneighborhood.com
Comedy gaming podcast. Listening to it makes you cool.
RisingWater
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2013, 02:12:05 PM »

A winner has been chosen!

#10, Lochinvar81!

Congrats!  Pm me with your mailing address so I can get it sent out.

I went and bought another English one today because this one was in my Stax Deck lol.

@TheTolarian
Lochinvar81
Vintage Adepts
Basic User

1000% Serious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2013, 02:21:16 PM »

Whoo! Thanks very much!

And thanks to everyone else for posting stories. These were a lot of fun to read!

Speculate baselessly. Complain about everything.
https://twitter.com/GrandpaBelcher
A.-1.
Full Members
Basic User

Team RST

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2013, 07:06:19 PM »

Congrats, Nat. I'm sure the Academy has found a good home.

I also thoroughly enjoyed reading about everyone's first terrible decks. It made me realize just how bad I was back in the day.

Please make an attempt to use proper grammar.
xouman
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2013, 02:42:29 AM »

Congratz to the winner!

I'm afraid that nowadays I'm no better than most of you in your beginnings :p I prefer to play suboptimal decks, around fetish cards, no wonder why my results are so bad. But I still have fun just playing, even losing more than winning!
RisingWater
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2013, 02:55:59 AM »

I don't think that's a bad thing though, that's why we play right?

I think above all else we should have fun with what we play.

I love the mono red variant of stax, I guess you could say is been my pet deck for a few years now. I know that mud is a lot more consistent and probably a little better,  but I enjoy playing mono red so much that I refuse to switch over.

@TheTolarian
xouman
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2013, 05:46:06 AM »

Lol, that's quite close to my pet deck too. I love magus and welders, but have had little success with them, even playing powered (to tell the truth, I have had little success with any deck I play XD)

As a bonus track, I'll tell my first "tournament" with my kitchen table deck. It should be around 1996 or 1997, alliances was out for sure but probably it would be before tempest... We started playing 6-8 friends, but half of them dropped in some months, and just 4 kept playing (of course, casually). There was one with a monowhite knights deck, one with red-green aggresive but high CC deck, another one with a random white-green deck and me with my URB deck. We decided to have a tournament, playing the 4 each other, and the winner of that mini-league would have boosters as a prize (4 boosters for first, 3 to second, 2 to third and 1 for last).

For the first time I actually thought about my deck. What was bad with it? my matches were 50-50, but it depended a lot on my draws, where other decks where much more stable. I acknowledged that the manabase was a problem, so I solved it taking blue out (prodigals, counterspells, mundungus) and prepared a BR deck. lots of removal and then sengir vampire/fireball/lim dl's palading as win conditions.

I crushed the RG guy (as usually did, my removal cleared the path), had the edge against white knights (he was surprised about the changes I did for the tournament), but was butchered against the other guy.

He was what we should call a 'Spike'. He was the most casual of the 4, but when he knew we were engaging a tournament, he bougth a WG deck card by card, with serra angels, erhams, duals, armaggedons, wraths, even autum willow... my deck was quicker than his, but too slow to get a win before he landed a monster/wrath.

That day I understood the benefits of playing good cards and copying a list. Pitifully, I haven't applied that knowledge XD
Oath of Happy
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2013, 08:58:46 PM »

This was a lot of fun reading about everyone's old decks and that was an awesome card for a prize, thanks for your kindness and generosity!
orgcandman
Full Members
Basic User

Providence protects children and idiots

orgcandman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2013, 12:27:09 PM »

Congrats Lochinvar!

Ball and Chain
Quote from: jdizzle
Congrats to the winners, but as we all know, everyone who went to this tournament was a winner
Quote from: iamfishman
Just to clarify...people name Aaron are amazing
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: