TheManaDrain.com
October 21, 2014, 10:09:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Doomsday question  (Read 2244 times)
covetousrat
Basic User

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2013, 05:31:29 AM »

If I resolve Doomsday with Ancestral Recall and Black lotus in my graveyard, does my opponent get to know that I have chosen these two cards?

or can I just put my graveyard on top on my deck and pull out 5 cards?

Doomsday
"Search your library and graveyard for five cards and exile the rest. Put the chosen cards on top of your library in any order. You lose half your life, rounded up."
AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

Exile Ancestral and turn Tiago sideways.

ambivalentduck ambivalentduck ambivalentduck
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 07:34:31 AM »

If I resolve Doomsday with Ancestral Recall and Black lotus in my graveyard, does my opponent get to know that I have chosen these two cards?

or can I just put my graveyard on top on my deck and pull out 5 cards?

Doomsday
"Search your library and graveyard for five cards and exile the rest. Put the chosen cards on top of your library in any order. You lose half your life, rounded up."
It's sort of a non-issue the way you've phrased this. Ancestral and Black Lotus were in your graveyard (which is public) and will be missing from the pile of exiled face-up cards (which is also public).

Here's something more interesting. Let's say I run two copies of Preordain in my Doomsday deck. One is in my graveyard and one is in my library (which is and has been hidden to my opponent) when Doomsday begins to resolve. Can I go about physically constructing the pile in such a way that my opponent cannot tell whether the exiled Preordain came from my graveyard or my library?

A link to the GitHub project where I store all of my Cockatrice decks.
Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
Any interest in putting together/maintaining a Github Git project that hosts proven decks of all major archetypes and documents their changes over time?
covetousrat
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 11:34:08 AM »

Hi,

Sorry I am still unsure here. Let me be clearer. Upon resolving Doomsday do I
1. Pull out 3 cards from library and 2 cards from graveyard as indicated on Doomsday and exile the rest
or
2. Can I put my graveyard (facing down) together with my library and pull out 5 cards while letting my opponent figure out the pile from the exiled cards?

The question here is more towards the physical action of resolving DD.

Thanks.
TheWhiteDragon
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

ericdm69@hotmail.com MrMiller2033 ericdm696969
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 12:51:05 PM »

Hi,

Sorry I am still unsure here. Let me be clearer. Upon resolving Doomsday do I
1. Pull out 3 cards from library and 2 cards from graveyard as indicated on Doomsday and exile the rest
or
2. Can I put my graveyard (facing down) together with my library and pull out 5 cards while letting my opponent figure out the pile from the exiled cards?

The question here is more towards the physical action of resolving DD.

Thanks.

You can put all the cards face-down in one stack, shuffle, and make a face-down pile of 5 to be your library, then exile the rest.  The question is, are the exiled cards left face-down, or face-up?  If down, then you can keep your new library secret.  If up, then as Duck pointed out, your opponent will just do process of elimination combined with what he knew was in your grave and figure it out.

Can any judge tell if the exiled cards face up or down?

"I know to whom I owe the most loyalty, and I see him in the mirror every day." - Starke of Rath
AmbivalentDuck
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

Exile Ancestral and turn Tiago sideways.

ambivalentduck ambivalentduck ambivalentduck
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 01:04:01 PM »

Can any judge tell if the exiled cards face up or down?

406.3. Exiled cards are, by default, kept face up and may be examined by any player at any time. Cards "exiled face down" can't be examined by any player except when instructions allow it.

Also, I'm not sure that you can mingle and shuffle like that. Doomsday is fairly unusual in that it takes something from a public zone and places it into a hidden zone in one of many possible positions of your explicit choosing.

A link to the GitHub project where I store all of my Cockatrice decks.
Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
Any interest in putting together/maintaining a Github Git project that hosts proven decks of all major archetypes and documents their changes over time?
Tempus
Tournament Organizers
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 08:57:06 PM »

Here's something more interesting. Let's say I run two copies of Preordain in my Doomsday deck. One is in my graveyard and one is in my library (which is and has been hidden to my opponent) when Doomsday begins to resolve. Can I go about physically constructing the pile in such a way that my opponent cannot tell whether the exiled Preordain came from my graveyard or my library?

Your opponent could actually ask you to make you choices in such a manner that he sees whether you pick your card from the graveyard or the library, as the graveyard is a public zone and the non chosen cards go to a different public zone.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: