TheManaDrain.com
October 22, 2014, 04:40:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dark Ascension Spoilers  (Read 2566 times)
spcleddy
Basic User

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2012, 02:13:06 PM »

Here is our first card. Behold:

Drogskul Reaver 5WU

Creature - Spirit (M)

Flying, doublestrike, lifelink
Whenever you gain life, draw a card.

3/5

Pros: decent flier, gains some life, draws at 2 cards/turn on its own
Cons: dies to removal, does nothing on its own the first turn
Verdict: I look forward to using this in my stack. It will work well with other life gain like Tower of Eons and Obelisk of Alara. Also expect it to help a player come back from low life.
DubDub
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 04:33:34 PM »

When I first read this guy I thought it was 'draw a card per life gained'.  Which since this guy alone gains six life per combat period would have been nutso-insane.  Oh well.

Vintage is a lovely format, it's too bad so few people can play because the supply of power is so small.

Chess really changed when they decided to stop making Queens and Bishops.  I'm just glad I got my copies before the prices went crazy.
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 08:33:07 PM »

I think he's great, yes, he still has to connect, but when he does, and since his ability is not total-blowout, he just might, he gives you a real boost to bring you back on the game.

Probably especially good late game when people start running out of instants and draw and just cast fatties.
spcleddy
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 05:43:30 PM »

How about some graveyard shenanigans?

Havengul Lich  {3} {U} {B}

Creature - Zombie Wizard

{1}: You may cast target creature card from a graveyard this turn. When you cast that card this turn Havengul Lich gains all activated abilities of that card until the end of turn.

4/4

Pros: repeatable recursion, may lead to busted plays, will create interesting/varied gameplay
Cons: counts as your spell for the turn, can't use on opponents' turns unless the creature has flash

And he's a zombie wizard...for Cruel Revival and Voidmage Prodigy.
Norm4eva
Full Members
Basic User

The87thBombfish
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 02:03:23 PM »

How about some graveyard shenanigans?

Havengul Lich  {3} {U} {B}

Creature - Zombie Wizard

{1}: You may cast target creature card from a graveyard this turn. When you cast that card this turn Havengul Lich gains all activated abilities of that card until the end of turn.

4/4

Pros: repeatable recursion, may lead to busted plays, will create interesting/varied gameplay
Cons: counts as your spell for the turn, can't use on opponents' turns unless the creature has flash

And he's a zombie wizard...for Cruel Revival and Voidmage Prodigy.

I feel like there's Priest of Gix shenanigans here, somehow.

Unfortunately my brain is bad at combo decks, and all I can think of is Havengul Lich + Priest of Gix + Edgewalker + I guess Carrion Feeder.  That's not fragile at all.
Lysyc12
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 01:10:53 AM »

Seems like this could be an interesting addition to some stacks:

Mikaeus, the Unhallowed          {3} {B} {B} {B}
Legendary Creature -- Zombie Cleric
Intimidate
When a Human deals damage to you, destroy it.
Other non-Human creatures you control get +1/+1 and have undying.
5/5

My Type 4 stack seems to have a fairly even split between Humans and non-Humans, adding an interesting new dynamic to things with this guy.  I like cards that care about something new in my stack.  Still, he needs some way to be protected in order to work.
spcleddy
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 09:48:33 AM »

Our first counter:

Counterlash        {4} {U} {U}

Instant (rare)

Counter target spell. You may cast a card from your hand that shares a card type with that spell without paying it's mana cost.

...and a new legendary equipment:

Elbrus, the Binding Blade // Withengar Unbound         {7}

Legendary artifact - equipment (mythic)

Equipped creature gets +1/+0.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, transform Elbrus, the Binding Blade.
//
Legendary creature - demon

Flying, trample, intimidate
Whenever a player loses the game, put thirteen +1/+1 counters on Withengar Unbound.
13/13
A.-1.
Full Members
Basic User

Team RST

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 07:17:46 PM »

Now those two are something I'm interested in.

Please make an attempt to use proper grammar.
MaximumCDawg
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 09:21:08 PM »

Why?

Counterlash is a nice Mana Drain-style tempo swing, no doubt.  But it's totally unplayable in a format that already has Mana Drain.  The Sword is not playable either; best case senario, you're cheating it out with SFM (no one is gonna waste Tinker on it) turn 2, finally getting your 13/13 turn 3, and swinging for the win two turns later.  

They're just like someone described the Scars dual lands - great and powerful and totally unplayable in Vintage.

EDIT: Clicked into the thread from the main page, did not notice subforum.  I won't delete the comment so people can laugh at me if they want to, but mods are certainly welcome to do either.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 10:49:47 PM by MaximumCDawg » Logged
A.-1.
Full Members
Basic User

Team RST

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 09:33:14 PM »

This is the Type 4 Forum hehe.

MaximumCDawg
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 10:48:55 PM »

uhhhhhh

Well, here's my dignity.  I clearly have no use for it anymore.
Mr. Type 4
Creator of Type 4
Full Members
Basic User

Creator of Type 4 - Discoverer of Steve Menendian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 09:47:14 AM »

Here are the cards that I saw:

Bone to Ash 2UU (4)
Instant
Counter target creature spell.

Draw a card.

we've seen this effect before, but cantrip counter magic is good.

Counterlash 4UU (6)
Instant
Counter target spell. You may cast a nonland card in your hand that shares a card type with that spell without paying its mana cost.

If you play with "if it doesnt cost mana it doesnt count as your one per turn" then this is prob the best card in the set.

Crushing Vines 2G (3)
Instant

Choose one — Destroy target creature with flying; or destroy target artifact.

Decent utility.

Grim Backwoods
(0)
Land

T: Add 1 to your mana pool.

2GB, T Sacrifice a creature: Draw a card.

turn your dudes that will die into cards.  Not terrible.

Havengul Lich 3UB(5)
Creature — Zombie Wizard (4/4)
1: You may cast target creature card in a graveyard this turn. When you cast that card this turn, Havengul Lich gains all activated abilities of that card until end of turn.

A new reanimating guy that is a lot more fair.  Maybe too fair.  Pretty cool that it lets you cast cards from opponent’s graveryards.

Increasing Ambition 4B(5)
Sorcery
Search your library for a card and put that card into your hand. If Increasing Ambition was cast from a graveyard, instead search your library for two cards and put those cards into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
Flashback 7B (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)

Could be a worthwhile Sorcery.

2008 VINTAGE CHAMPION
2013 NYSE OPEN I CHAMPION
Team Meandeck

Mastriano's the only person I know who can pick up chicks and win magic tournaments at the same time.
Mr. Type 4
Creator of Type 4
Full Members
Basic User

Creator of Type 4 - Discoverer of Steve Menendian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 09:54:48 AM »

This one, too:

Curse of Echoes  4U
Enchantment - Aura Curse 
Enchant Player
Whenever enchanted player cast an instant or sorcery spell, each other player may copy that spell and may choose new targets for the copy he or she controls.

Not sure how this one would play out in a large multiplayer game, but Type 4 is all about Instants, so this thing is really going to mess up whoever is cursed by it.  If you want to counter something then you better have support from the other players and definitely dont play Searing Wind...

2008 VINTAGE CHAMPION
2013 NYSE OPEN I CHAMPION
Team Meandeck

Mastriano's the only person I know who can pick up chicks and win magic tournaments at the same time.
A.-1.
Full Members
Basic User

Team RST

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 03:56:58 PM »

Curse of Echoes seems great if your stack is build with those types of shenanigans in mind. In most stacks though, it seems like it would be too similar to an effect like Eye of the Storm [Whenever a player casts an instant or sorcery card, exile it. Then that player copies each instant or sorcery card exiled with Eye of the Storm. For each copy, the player may cast the copy without paying its mana cost.]. In other words, it would get out of hand too quick.

spcleddy
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 07:01:46 PM »

My Dark Ascension buylist and current FOIL prices:

Counterlash $8
Drogskul Reaver $20
Havengul Lick $30
Elbrus, the Binding Blade $20
TOTAL $78

Already picked up a FOIL Counterlash in trade. I hope to see the other cards opened this weekend and trade for them.
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 11:36:14 PM »

Elbrus is awful in T4!

You need an equipped creature to connect, and then your big demon to connect without dying. I'd rather play Colossus or Sardia or another big dumb fatty.

I must say I like Archangel's Light, in late game you can easily gain a 20-30 life and you get the reshuffle that can come in very handy in long games where you end up decking people.
spcleddy
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 12:25:25 PM »

Just sleeve up Withengar. Wink
I really want to swing with that demon, but I get your point.

And too bad Archangel's Light isn't an instant for us like Beacon of Immortality.

We're off to a slow start this year with Dark Ascension. Let's hope we get more cards in Avacyn Restored.
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 10:54:12 PM »

Just sleeve up Withengar. Wink
I really want to swing with that demon, but I get your point.

Oh duh, that's a pretty good idea actually Razz

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: