TheManaDrain.com
July 29, 2014, 03:39:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vintage Videos Thread  (Read 7366 times)
Daenyth
Adepts
Basic User

shadowblack379
View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2011, 09:42:12 AM »

Played a match with Daenyth

Very interesting scenario for Gavin in part 2 of Game 1 where he was unable to get a Tinker through my spheres.

Was so bad. I could have pulled it through. Oh well, that's what playing at 11:30 does for you Razz

Great games though. Was nice to practice against a more lock-based stax build, which I'm very rusty at playing against.

Team #olddrafts4you -- losing games since 2004
ErtaiAdept
Adepts
Basic User

cmasley1218
View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2011, 11:00:51 AM »

This is a fantastic idea!  I look forward to watching these matches.  Also willing to play out some games if you need opponents.

Bill Copes bought me a beer after using the power of his mind to remove all the Bazaars and Serum Powders from my deck in two consecutive games.

Team TMD
"Dice have six sides for a reason.  There is no excitement in surety my friend."
Meddling Mike
Master of Divination
Administrator
Basic User

Not Chris Pikula

micker01 Micker1985 micker1985
View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2011, 01:34:20 PM »

Very interesting scenario for Gavin in part 2 of Game 1 where he was unable to get a Tinker through my spheres.

Was so bad. I could have pulled it through. Oh well, that's what playing at 11:30 does for you Razz

Great games though. Was nice to practice against a more lock-based stax build, which I'm very rusty at playing against.

I was curious as to what was going on in your hand. I was thinking that if you had sacrificed Jace and a land, tapped three lands and a Jet leaving Welder and lotus untapped you could play a land, weld jet for mana crypt, pop lotus, tap land and tap crypt for 6 mana which would be enough to satisfy my spheres and resolve Tinker. I was initially thinking that I could work through a Blightsteel Colossus by ramping Smokestack the next turn to 3, having you tap 2 from my remaining wire and blocking BSC with Lodestone Golem to leave me with 8 Poison Counters. If you make another land drop on that turn as well It should leave you with 4 permanents, which I can get sacrificed/tapped without needing to ramp Smokestack up or by ramping and sacrificing Tangle Wire to get your board. Although, if you meant Myr Battlesphere when you said "bball" then that would be very different and a total blowout. One of those rare cases where Battlesphere is the optimal choice over BSC.

Meddling Mike posts so loudly that nobody can get a post in edgewise.

Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
Daenyth
Adepts
Basic User

shadowblack379
View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2011, 01:44:14 PM »

I was curious as to what was going on in your hand. I was thinking that if you had sacrificed Jace and a land, tapped three lands and a Jet leaving Welder and lotus untapped you could play a land, weld jet for mana crypt, pop lotus, tap land and tap crypt for 6 mana which would be enough to satisfy my spheres and resolve Tinker. I was initially thinking that I could work through a Blightsteel Colossus by ramping Smokestack the next turn to 3, having you tap 2 from my remaining wire and blocking BSC with Lodestone Golem to leave me with 8 Poison Counters. If you make another land drop on that turn as well It should leave you with 4 permanents, which I can get sacrificed/tapped without needing to ramp Smokestack up or by ramping and sacrificing Tangle Wire to get your board. Although, if you meant Myr Battlesphere when you said "bball" then that would be very different and a total blowout. One of those rare cases where Battlesphere is the optimal choice over BSC.

I did mean Battlesphere. I run both robots (it's a welder deck). Didn't you see it when I cast Forbidden Alchemy to dump it post-vamp? If I had welded mox for crypt I'd take 1 turn of beats from golem, still have jace, and next turn I'd be able to infinite weld. I had that line of play in my head but when I forgot about the extra sphere on vamp it threw me off and I tilted a bit, went for lotus instead of thinking more carefully.

Team #olddrafts4you -- losing games since 2004
Meddling Mike
Master of Divination
Administrator
Basic User

Not Chris Pikula

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2011, 05:39:42 AM »

Gave Minus 6 a whirl against Rich Shay playing Delver/Goyf Gush.

I apologize in advance for the sound quality, I didn't realize it was recording from my on board microphone instead of my headset.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 05:45:00 AM by Meddling Mike » Logged

Team TMD - If you feel that team secrecy is bad for Vintage put this in your signature
Troy_Costisick
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2011, 10:52:21 AM »

I apologize in advance for the sound quality, I didn't realize it was recording from my on board microphone instead of my headset.

I watched it, Mike.  Minus Six seems like a tough deck to play.  As I watched, I wondered if Breakthrough would have been a better card than Read the Runes.  Have you tried it?

Peace,

-Troy

Womba
Full Members
Basic User

2011 Vintage World Champion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2011, 11:09:25 AM »

I watched it, Mike.  Minus Six seems like a tough deck to play.  As I watched, I wondered if Breakthrough would have been a better card than Read the Runes.  Have you tried it?

Peace,

-Troy

One of the key advantages you gain from Read the Runes over Breakthrough is that it is an instant. That is highly relevant because it allows you to assemble Worldgorger-Animate Spell without needing a Bazaar of Baghdad or Oona in your graveyard if you have a Read the Runes in hand. In-between your Worldgorger loops, which are generating infinite mana, you can play Read the Runes to insure you hit Oona.

Edit:
Just watched the game one video and it looks like Mike missed that trick, if he wastes the land just draw the game and try again...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 11:22:21 AM by Womba » Logged

Oderint Dum Metuant

The Best Dredge player in the world?!?! JAKE GANS!!!!

Team East Coast Wins
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2011, 11:23:40 AM »

Read the Runes can also be used to sacrifice a land being wasted, a confidant when low on life, a Mana Crypt or all kinds of things like that.
Troy_Costisick
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2011, 11:42:53 AM »

I watched it, Mike.  Minus Six seems like a tough deck to play.  As I watched, I wondered if Breakthrough would have been a better card than Read the Runes.  Have you tried it?

Peace,

-Troy

One of the key advantages you gain from Read the Runes over Breakthrough is that it is an instant. That is highly relevant because it allows you to assemble Worldgorger-Animate Spell without needing a Bazaar of Baghdad or Oona in your graveyard if you have a Read the Runes in hand. In-between your Worldgorger loops, which are generating infinite mana, you can play Read the Runes to insure you hit Oona.

Edit:
Just watched the game one video and it looks like Mike missed that trick, if he wastes the land just draw the game and try again...

Ah, that makes a lot of sense!  I hadn't thought of it Smile

Meddling Mike
Master of Divination
Administrator
Basic User

Not Chris Pikula

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2011, 12:37:42 PM »

Well, in game 1 when he wasted the land it was a few turns later until I had access to black mana. I guess I could have been more aggressive with it once I did get it but I felt like I still had a lot of gas at the time and I could win the game. Like, I felt reasonably strong running Animate Dead out there with FoW backup and my opponent on three cards, but of course I should have expected those 3 to be Force, Force, Blue Card when playing Rich. In retrospect, I probably overestimated my chances of winning the game, but that's probably my lack of experience with this deck showing.

Womba
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2011, 12:44:15 PM »

At 9:00 and forward when your hand is Dance of the Dead, Mystical Tutor, Intuition, Read the Runes, and Force of Will, you can either just win the game or draw the game. I don't think you want to ship back the turn when he has an active Jace on board. You can play Dance of the Dead by using your Misty Rainforest to get Underground Sea and he only has two cards in hand at this point, assuming its Force of Will and blue card, you have the counter back up for it. If he wastelands your Underground Sea you can just draw the game, try to win again. Its a lot better than letting him get extra Jace activations IMO. Being able to draw the game is a great defense mechanism with this deck.

Edit: You might even be able to get him to try to hardcast FoW there, in which case you would just win since he won't be able to wasteland....
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 12:51:18 PM by Womba » Logged

Oderint Dum Metuant

Team East Coast Wins
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2011, 04:06:35 PM »

I saw that too, you were in pretty bad shape there, I would have drawn the game with no second thought there.
Troy_Costisick
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2011, 10:54:51 AM »

I saw that too, you were in pretty bad shape there, I would have drawn the game with no second thought there.

Yeah, but that doesn't make a very interesting video for people new to Vintage to watch Sad

Womba
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2011, 02:19:55 PM »

Yeah, but that doesn't make a very interesting video for people new to Vintage to watch Sad

I disagree. While true its not the most interesting thing, it is a very real part of the deck's game plan. Sometimes you just have to draw games and I believe using these videos to show new and experienced players Vintage you should probably use and explain one of the deck's game plans...

Oderint Dum Metuant

Team East Coast Wins
Qube
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2011, 10:04:06 AM »

Thanks Mr. Mage this is huge. I love to watch those games especially against Mr. Shay Wink

Just as a thought, in this game here (epic  Very Happy) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez6XvJus-Eo&feature=BFa&list=ULcL8wMybSZu0&lf=mfu_in_order

Rich is on 1 life and is fighting like an bear against the factory. You blocked the factory with your Snapcaster Mage to not die. BUT coudn't you've use your Voltaic Key to untap the factory each turn and maybe win with the Snapcaster Mage??  Wink

Man, Gush not only bounces lands, it bounces on and off the restricted list. It's like the DCI's very own superball.
Meddling Mike
Master of Divination
Administrator
Basic User

Not Chris Pikula

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2011, 12:44:44 PM »

Thanks Mr. Mage this is huge. I love to watch those games especially against Mr. Shay Wink

Just as a thought, in this game here (epic  Very Happy) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez6XvJus-Eo&feature=BFa&list=ULcL8wMybSZu0&lf=mfu_in_order

Rich is on 1 life and is fighting like an bear against the factory. You blocked the factory with your Snapcaster Mage to not die. BUT coudn't you've use your Voltaic Key to untap the factory each turn and maybe win with the Snapcaster Mage??  Wink

I'm not sure, but I think you might have a small rules misunderstanding. Untapping a creature does not remove it from combat. He would just be giving me a free blocker. This is why Maze of Ith is specific about removing the creature from combat and Spidery Grasp can be used as an aggressive pump spell. If this is not what you were getting at then please disregard.

PETER FLUGZEUG
Full Members
Basic User

New Ease

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2012, 06:32:40 AM »

Also, both punted several times: for example when Rich played vamp and while searching cracked the fetch, or when he cast the bolt for your golem the same turn he tutored for it with mystical tutor... He could have put it into his hand with ponder, but would have had to crack that fetch before mystical again. Just saying. The only "relevant" thing was the mystical directly into hand thing.

I will be playing four of these.  I'll worry about the deck later.
StanleyAugust
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2012, 12:03:16 PM »

Sorry for bumping this but haven't seen this thread before. Meddling Mage, in your game 1 against Plagic on Landstill you lead with Mox, Mox, Thorn. Isn't that just insanely bad as you'll be walking into Mindbreak Trap from time to time? You could have gone Wasteland, Mox, Thorn and play the second Mox T2 or gone Ancient, Mox, Thorn, Mox.

Edit: oh and now I see that you did it again in game 2 where he actually had that Mindbreak Trap. Though honestly I would have thought he'd sideboard those out as well.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 12:17:44 PM by StanleyAugust » Logged
ErtaiAdept
Adepts
Basic User

cmasley1218
View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2013, 08:28:51 AM »

Bump since this seems to be the best place to ask.  Does anyone know if there is a place where I can watch footage from the BOM?  I tried their Twitch tv channel but all the videos say they are no longer available.

Bill Copes bought me a beer after using the power of his mind to remove all the Bazaars and Serum Powders from my deck in two consecutive games.

Team TMD
"Dice have six sides for a reason.  There is no excitement in surety my friend."
ChronoExile
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2013, 09:14:53 AM »

Just checked the first two videos, and they loaded and played with no troubles.

http://www.twitch.tv/watchdamatch

Click the videos button in the top right of the screen and it will load up all the archived videos on their channel.
ErtaiAdept
Adepts
Basic User

cmasley1218
View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2013, 10:48:22 AM »

interesting..perhaps it's my works firewall.  I tried during my break earlier.  Perhaps I'll try when I get home.

Team TMD
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: