TheManaDrain.com
September 03, 2014, 01:57:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Magic Plays  (Read 6449 times)
ReAnimator
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2011, 06:45:51 PM »

At SCG power 9 Rochester, I was playing a UWb Landstill deck and my opponent was on Oath, this is right after Orchard was printed and Mean Deck Oath was the new hot thing.

In game two i had sided in 4 Extract. I go turn one Extract you, my opponent reads the card, and sighs heavily. We play draw go for a few turns, and on turn 4 i rip Yawg Will, and cast it with Extract as my only card in the yard, my opponent concedes. Turn 4 win with Landstill!!!

Goobafish: I'll cast lim dul's vault
Opponent: Ok
Goobafish: Sorry its foreign do you know what it does?
Opponent: Yes
Goobafish: Well I don't
Shock Wave
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2011, 07:01:43 PM »

This play blew my mind for no reason other than the sheer impropability of it succeeding. I was watching a Legacy match at GP Columbus (I think), and the two decks were DragonStompy and UW-aggro-something-or-other. Around turn 6 or 7, the board position is Dragon Stompy with no cards in hand, COTV=1 on board, and a Rakdos Pit Dragon that is nearing lethal damage. The UW dude has 3 Tundra, a mitt full of Path to Exile and STP, plus a hoarde of 1 drops on board. The Dragon Stompy player draws an irrelevant 1cc spell and casts it to ensure the Dragon retains hellbent, then smashes face. He needs one more swing to finish it off on his turn.

The UW player mutters something about having no outs because he has nothing in his deck to remove the Chalice, and only 1cc answers for the Dragon. Anyways, the UW player won. Anybody want to guess how? Clues:

1. He did not remove the Chalice.
2. He did not remove or target the Dragon in any way.
3. He did not block the Dragon.
4. He did not gain any life.
5. He won the game on his following turn by swinging for lethal.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." 
- Theodore Roosevelt
bluemage55
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2011, 07:28:23 PM »

The UW player mutters something about having no outs because he has nothing in his deck to remove the Chalice, and only 1cc answers for the Dragon. Anyways, the UW player won. Anybody want to guess how? Clues:

The UW player cast a card-drawing spell targeting the Dragon Stompy player, thereby deactivating Hellbent and allowing him to outrace?
Nefarias
Full Members
Basic User

NefariasAndy
View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2011, 12:00:04 AM »

Mirrorweave the Dragon, attack for a bunch?

Team GG's

Quote from: Young Jeezy
This will be the realest shit you ever quote
DubDub
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2011, 08:56:03 AM »

Mirrorweave the Dragon, attack for a bunch?
It says he didn't target the Dragon.  I'm guessing Mirror Entity shenanigans?

Vintage is a lovely format, it's too bad so few people can play because the supply of power is so small.

Chess really changed when they decided to stop making Queens and Bishops.  I'm just glad I got my copies before the prices went crazy.
Shock Wave
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2011, 12:09:23 PM »

The UW player cast a card-drawing spell targeting the Dragon Stompy player, thereby deactivating Hellbent and allowing him to outrace?

Close, but no. No correct answers so far.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." 
- Theodore Roosevelt
DubDub
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2011, 12:20:22 PM »

Nobilis of War?

Vintage is a lovely format, it's too bad so few people can play because the supply of power is so small.

Chess really changed when they decided to stop making Queens and Bishops.  I'm just glad I got my copies before the prices went crazy.
Shock Wave
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2011, 12:35:54 PM »

Nobilis of War?

He only has 3 Tundra in play, so he can't cast this.

- Theodore Roosevelt
mikekilljoy
Basic User

Simply... a Tower

Tower0Bauer
View Profile Email
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2011, 03:14:11 PM »

Swing, play Ghostly Prison/Propaganda, and the stompy guy has no lands in play?

The Tower of Bauer!

The Growing Resume
What Resume?

(My 2008 Nationals)
Prospero
Administrator
Basic User

Per Angusta Ad Augusta

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2011, 03:45:26 PM »

Watching a Force of Nature get taken by Control Magic was pretty sweet.

There is always a greater power.

E.C.W.
boggyb
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2011, 05:20:38 PM »

Dude said he killed him on his next turn.

Army of Allah? Very Happy
Shock Wave
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2011, 02:15:44 AM »

Dude said he killed him on his next turn.

Army of Allah? Very Happy

Haha that is a possibility I suppose, but no. I'll wait another day and then answer it myself. Hopefully the answer isn't anti-climactic. I thought it was absolutely awesome. Razz

- Theodore Roosevelt
Jakgotbak
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2011, 02:50:24 AM »

Playing a friendly control mirror, I'd been run out of resources by my opponent who then resolved a small-ish Yawg's Will.  He was basically going to get a land and a Tinker for Blightsteel, but that was going to be enough.

So I had to play to my only out, convincing him to play the unnecessary Ponder out of his yard.  I mean, free card, right? Actually, the way I phrased it was, "you should totally play that Ponder, shuffle, and draw your robot. Because that would be hilarious."

So he played the Ponder, saw nothing he wanted, and shuffled.  I did something uncharacteristic for a friendly game, and cut him... straight to his robot. It was as funny as I'd hoped it would be.  My opponent didn't seem to think so, though.

--------------------------

Once, when playing for the honor of a 4-4 record in a PTQ with Faeries, I convinced my Merfolk opponent we should both mulligan to 0 if we got to game 3.  My draws in order were land, land, bitterblossom.  So that was fun.
PETER FLUGZEUG
Full Members
Basic User

New Ease

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2011, 05:12:00 AM »

At bazaar of moxen: he is on some tendrils deck, me on bishops painter. G2. He resolves xantid swarm with a bunch of cards in hand. On my turn, i had to do something, so i played timetwister. Next turn he attacks with swarm and i play my vendilion in resp, blocking xantid and putting his only bomb on the bottom. Then i won. The unlikely lucky miser's play...

I will be playing four of these.  I'll worry about the deck later.
Shock Wave
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2011, 12:16:28 PM »

This play blew my mind for no reason other than the sheer impropability of it succeeding. I was watching a Legacy match at GP Columbus (I think), and the two decks were DragonStompy and UW-aggro-something-or-other. Around turn 6 or 7, the board position is Dragon Stompy with no cards in hand, COTV=1 on board, and a Rakdos Pit Dragon that is nearing lethal damage. The UW dude has 3 Tundra, a mitt full of Path to Exile and STP, plus a hoarde of 1 drops on board. The Dragon Stompy player draws an irrelevant 1cc spell and casts it to ensure the Dragon retains hellbent, then smashes face. He needs one more swing to finish it off on his turn.

So here it is:

The UW player draws Meddling Mage for the turn, and dejectedly throws it on the board naming "Blood Moon" without half a thought. His opponent draws and you could see this sickly look on his face. Finally, he says: "I can't fucking believe this." and scoops up his cards. The puzzled UW player accepts the concession before he realizes why his opponent can't kill him. The kicker: I asked the UW guy about the play after the game, and he says "I didn't even see that it was an out and I didn't know he was playing Blood Moon."

So basically, not only did the UW guy need to draw his Mage (about a 6% chance), his opponent also needed to draw the named card on his turn, also about a 6% chance. If I am doing my math correctly (and I am horrible at stats, so correct me if I am wrong) the odds of doing this are about .0036% (3.6/1000). Either way, this is one of the most memorable finishes to a match I've seen.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 01:17:39 PM by Shock Wave » Logged

- Theodore Roosevelt
Diakonov
Full Members
Basic User

Hey Now

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 11, 2011, 01:07:21 PM »

So here it is:

The UW player draws Meddling Mage for the turn, and dejectedly throws it on the board naming "Blood Moon" without half a thought. His opponent draws and you could see this sickly look on his face. Finally, he says: "I can't fucking believe this." and scoops up his cards. The puzzled UW player accepts the concession before he realizes why his opponent can't kill him. The kicker: I asked the UW guy about the play after the game, and he says "I didn't even see that it was an out and I didn't know he was playing Blood Moon."

So basically, not only did the UW guy need to draw his Mage (about a 6% chance), his opponent also needed to draw the named card on his turn, also about a 6% chance. If I am doing my math correctly (and I am horrible at stats, so correct me if I am wrong) the odds of doing this are about .0036% (3.6/1000). Either way, this one one of the most memorable finishes to a match I've seen.

That is incredible.

VINTAGE CONSOLES
VINTAGE MAGIC
VINTAGE JACKETS

Team Hadley

Marske
Mindsculptor
Full Members
Basic User

Go beyond Synergy and enter Poetry

marius.vanzundert@live.nl marske1984
View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »

So here it is:

So basically, not only did the UW guy need to draw his Mage (about a 6% chance), his opponent also needed to draw the named card on his turn, also about a 6% chance. If I am doing my math correctly (and I am horrible at stats, so correct me if I am wrong) the odds of doing this are about .0036% (3.6/1000). Either way, this is one of the most memorable finishes to a match I've seen.
TMD needs a LIKE button!

Riding a polka-powered zombie T-Rex into a necromancer family reunion in the middle of an evil ghost hurricane.

"Meandeckers act like they forgot about Dredge." - Matt Elias

The Atog Lord: I'm not an Atog because I'm GOOD with machines Wink
meadbert
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2011, 02:43:01 PM »

http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/print.php?Article=12828
Becker's win through Tormod's Crypt with a Yawg Will is probably my favorite play of all time.

T1: Arsenal
Twaun007
Adepts
Basic User

For eight hundred years have I trained Jedi.

Twaun007
View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2011, 03:26:05 PM »

I used to play some real god awful 5c workshop prison lists and here's one of my stories.

A long time ago during the Trinisphere era I was dueling in a 5cstax mirror at a Cleveland Mox tourney. From what I remember it was game three and turn 37 or something. After a grueling battle of attrition my opponent gained a dominating board position with Crucible of Worlds, Smokestack @ 1, Trinisphere, Moxen, and some land with no pressuring threat. Back in those days stax decks only had a few finishers in 4 Welders, maybe 2 robots, and Barbarian Ring so games could drag on. I knew I had time. Well, after about 15 turns my opponent started to get a bit frustrated with my board position being absolutely wiped out. He believed I was completely locked out of the game.... And I'm never going to forget his face when I signed the match slip 2-1 in my favor.

Over the course of being locked out my deck just spit me card after card of pure gasoline. Finally, with a graveyard chalk full of land, artifacts, a grip of seven that made my hands catch fire, and spells handed down from the Mtg Gods! It was time to pull the trigger.

I remember patiently waiting and waiting for the deck to deliver and finally she did. My hand was Workshop, Workshop, Crucible of World, Yawgmoth's Will, Fastbond, Balance, March of the Machines, and finally ripped the card I waited 15 + turns for, Black Lotus.

I played my first Workshop and tapped it to cast Black Lotus, dropped Fastbond, played my second Workshop for a Crucible of Worlds. This allowed me to wipe out my opponents mana base with a Wasteland that was dropped into my graveyard in the beginning of the game. I then put land after land into play in order to cast March of the Machines. Having only one creature in Crucible of Worlds, I cast Balance with BCC floating, wiping out my opponents artifacts(he kept CoW), and all my land. I dropped Yawgmoth's Will, replayed all my land, Sol Ring, Smokestack, some other stuff, and finally Trinisphere. Stabilizing at two I gave'em the "Yeah, what's up now look". I passed the turn and my opponent proceeded to crap his pants during my endstep.

EDIT: Wop gnuk, a sweet story for my sweet 1000th post!

« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 03:30:19 PM by Twaun007 » Logged

This... Right here... Is my new Lambo...

Carpe Librum

You can't ask a bird not to fly!
You can't ask a fish not to swim!
You can't ask a Chinese guy not to turn back into a tiger at midnight!
It's who I am.

Cleveland
Joblin Velder
Basic User

Useless casual

ninjabot7000@hotmail.com CountRockula999
View Profile Email
« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2011, 04:00:21 PM »

Becker's win through Tormod's Crypt with a Yawg Will is probably my favorite play of all time.

That is truly sick.

Team Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday: I will pee all over myself then we'll see who will end up looking bad.
T00L
Basic User

Has Been

TOOLundertow46n2
View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2011, 02:54:12 AM »

easy game

I like my Magic decks like I like my relationships. Abusive.

Team GGs: We welcome all types of degeneracy!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: