TheManaDrain.com
September 02, 2014, 04:13:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Phyrexia  (Read 3380 times)
spcleddy
Basic User

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2011, 04:03:48 PM »

Domo arigato, Japanese spoilers!

Karn, the Released  {7}
Planeswalker - Karn
Mythic Rare
+4: Target player exiles a card from his or her hand.
-3: Exile target permanent.
-14: Set aside all non-Aura permanent cards exiled with Karn, then restart the game. Then put all cards set aside this way onto the battlefield under your control.
Illus. Jason Chan #1/175   6

Yes please!
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 05:28:12 PM »

But the new game part might be dumb. I don't think it would happen a lot, but it would be sooo frustrating, you get very little adavantage with it in T4 as whatever you start with will get destroyed fast.

dane
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 06:16:25 PM »

This card is going to be in every Standard deck, unless I'm missing something.

Not sure if this is really that great in Vintage, as it is deadweight unless you get it in your opening hand.  I suppose you could do the whole serum powder thing, but even then it is pretty much useless against combo unless you're lucky and hit some mox.  And I realize it still can knock out cards in their hand, but is it really worth setting up a whole deck for a card that minimally impacts combo?  Just feel like any deck you build around it would be so lackluster against combo that it's not really worth it. 

Maybe in Stax it could work though.
Lysyc12
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 01:06:15 AM »

Well, this isn't really a discussion about Standard or Vintage, but Type 4.  In that format, I'm not too certain about new Karn.  Thus far, the only planeswalker worth inclusion has bee Nicol Bolas, but if I do manage to get a copy (as I imagine he'll be ludicrously overpriced) I'll definitely give it a try.

There are a couple of other cards I'll definitely be trying as well:

Praetor's Grip   {1} {B} {B}
Sorcery    
Search target opponent's library for a card and exile it face down, then that player shuffles his or her library. As long as it remains exiled, you may look at it and cast it as though it were in your hand.

Awesome!  This will be replacing Grinning Totem in my stack.

Urabask the Hidden    {3} {R} {R}
Legendary Creature - Praetor    
Creatures you control have Haste.
Creatures your opponents control enter the battlefield tapped.
4/4

A bit fragile, but the effects are quite good.  I'd say best haste enable short of Anger and definitely worth a shot.

Birthing Pod
Artifact     {3} {Phyrexian G}
({Phyrexian G} may be paid for with either {G} or 2 life.)
1{Phyrexian G}, {T}, Sacrifice a creature: Search your library for a creature with converted mana cost equal to the sacrificed creature's converted mana cost plus one and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.

This one looks really good.  Sort of a cross between Survival of the Fittest and Tooth and Nail.  Not a bad pedigree at all!

*edited to fix name*
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 12:34:11 PM by Lysyc12 » Logged
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 07:28:49 AM »

Well, Karn is basically: Vindicate + Prevent all damage the next attack would do to you/Gain 5 life. Or Target player discards a card and gain 10 life. That's pretty good I say.

Sometimes he can even be more if the game is slowish.
Mr. Type 4
Creator of Type 4
Full Members
Basic User

Creator of Type 4 - Discoverer of Steve Menendian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 09:04:10 AM »

Karn is a Desert Twister that RFGs the permanent and remains in play unless someone does something.  Is that good enough?  Not sure, but my bet is on "No." I'd much rather have Tornado (lol) in most situations.

Preator's Grip is pretty good.  It's no Gifts Given, but its nice that the card will hang out in Exile for as long as need it to.  Spawning Shell might be good, but the casting costs can be pretty random in Type 4. this thing really asks for specifics. 

2008 VINTAGE CHAMPION
2013 NYSE OPEN I CHAMPION
Team Meandeck

Mastriano's the only person I know who can pick up chicks and win magic tournaments at the same time.
Metamind
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 02:12:06 PM »

Thus far, the only planeswalker worth inclusion has bee Nicol Bolas
Sorin Markov performed better here. Nicol is pretty often left without anything to steal or destroy. I think that anyway outright setting players to 10 life (especially when you are not certain it will be you hence you don't counter it) is better than just stealing something.

Is it just my opinion that Karn's ultimate is really really sucky in type 4? Resurrecting everyone, nullifying everything you have achieved so far for two-three very answerable* permanents, plus committing political suicide as a bonus?

* Not many things exist that 4 players with full grips and full life totals cannot answer. And after they answer what you've got, you are left at a worst condition that what you have been before ultimating Karn.
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 04:18:41 PM »

Sheoldred, Whispering One 5BB
6/6
Swampwalk
At the beginning of your upkeep,return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield.
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep,that player sacrifices a creature.

Autoinclude to me, it's Reya + one-sided The Abyss on a bigger body. Very few players will be able to attack you with non-hasters and you get to have your best dudes back. It obviously will rarely live until your next turn, but by that point it's going to have killed a few creatures.
spcleddy
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 07:01:23 AM »

And swampwalk!
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 10:27:11 PM »

Spoiler's out! Let see what Santa brought us.

White sucks, no white!

Chancellor of the Spires 4uuu
Creature - Sphinx (R)
You may reveal this card from your opening hand. If you do, at the beginning of the first upkeep, each opponent puts the top seven cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
Flying
When Chancellor of the Spires enters the battlefield, you may cast target instant or sorcery card from an opponent's graveyard without paying its mana cost.
5/7

Yes yes yes. It's Memory Plunder on a fat body with a bonus if you have it in opening hand. 7 cards can mean something in T4, it can also be good for opponents, but it's fun all around!

Jin-Gitaxias 8uu
Legendary Creature - Praetor (M)
Flash
At the beginning of your end step, draw seven cards.
Each opponent's maximum hand size is reduced by seven.
5/4

I'm trying to figure out if this is broken. Yes you might draw 7 at your turn, but that's not broken. If cast at opponent's EOT, one of them will discard his hand then all others will try to get you. I think it's very powerful but not too good, but if might just be unfun if several players just lose their hands.

Chancellor of the Dross 4bbb
Creature - Vampire (R)
You may reveal this card from your opening hand. If you do, at the beginning of your upkeep, each opponent loses 3 life, then you gain life equal to the life lost this way.
Flying, lifelink
6/6

This one was leaked, I just don't think it's good enough. If it's not in your opening hand it's very sub-par.

Code:
Geth's Verdict bb
Instant (C)
Target player sacrifices a creature and loses 1 life.

Diabolic Edict just got outclassed! Decent removal.

Sheoldred, Whispering One 5bb
Legendary Creature - Praetor (M)
Swampwalk
At the beginning of your upkeep, return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield.
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, that player sacrifices a creature.
6/6

This goes in, as previously discussed.
Act of Aggression 3{pr}{pr}
Instant (U)
Gain control of target creature an opponent controls until end of turn. Untap that creature. It gains haste until end of turn.

Ray of command is always fun, but do we need another one?

Beast Within 2g
Instant (U)
Destroy target permanent. Its controller puts a 3/3 green Beast creature token onto the battlefield.

Good polyvalent removal, shame it doesn't make an elephant though.

Etched Monstrosity
Artifact Creature - Golem (M)
Etched Monstrosity enters the battlefield with five -1/-1 counters on it.
wubrg, Remove five -1/-1 counters from Etched Monstrosity: Target player draws three cards.
10/10

Yes, Etched Oracle was never good enough, he now doesn't sacrifice to give you 3 cards and is a freaking 10/10 Razz

Mindcrank
Artifact (U)
Whenever an opponent loses life, that player puts that many cards from the top of his or her library into his or her graveyard. (Damage dealt by sources without infect causes loss of life.)

Probably goes into the "unfun" cards, but would make games shorter.
Omen Machine
Artifact (R)
Players can't draw cards.
At the beginning of each player's draw step, that player exiles the top card of his or her library. If it's a land card, the player puts it onto the battlefield. Otherwise, the player casts it without paying its mana cost if able.

For the chaos lovers, you are now forced to play whatever you draw, it might create wacky scenarios!!!

Soul Conduit
Artifact (R)
, : Two target players exchange life totals.

Wacky wacky politics!!!

Mr. Type 4
Creator of Type 4
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 07:50:08 AM »

Jin-Gitaxias This guy practically jumped off the pagewhen I read the spoiler.  I dont think it's broken - the first person who is about to lose his hand is going to be forced to make a move against this thing and the chances of you drawing 7 aren't happening unless you can put Jin together with something that will protect him (8.5 tails, Armored Guardian, Gleemax etc).  On the flip side, this guy is a card that justifies the extra effort to keep it alive, and will be exciting to play with for the chance to live the dream.  Also, awesome creatures with Flash are highly desired in type 4.  A+

Chancellor of the Spires Awesome spell-like effect on a solid creature.  Awesome addition.

Sheoldred Reya Death-bringer.  Nice upgrade

Etched Monstrosity10/10 draw 3... ALMOST as good as Kozilek

Soul ConduitSounds really fun.  Makes you the boss and makes having too much life a liability.  

This is a really great set for type 4.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:31:31 AM by Mr. Type 4 » Logged

2008 VINTAGE CHAMPION
Team Meandeck

Mastriano's the only person I know who can pick up chicks and win magic tournaments at the same time.
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 08:18:28 AM »

Etched Monstrosity10/10 draw 3... ALMOST as good as Kozilek

Like his little Oracle brother, still good plenty.
Metamind
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 04:36:04 PM »

Jin seems like he was made with type 4 in mind. Obviously a bomb.

The blue Chancellor is not the most powerful card but he is definitely playable. Mill 7 will often be a disadvantage with our stack though.

Chancellor of the Dross will make you a pretty big target if revealed at the beginning and is very subpar afterwards. Meh.

Geth's verdict - a minor upgrade over a staple, but still a relevant one which makes it the new staple (I'll keep playing both though).

Sheoldred has a cool cumulative effect. She will be good.

Beast Within is a staple. Very solid.

Etched Monstrosity is large and gains card advantage. Unlike Kozilek, works well with reanimation.

Soul Conduit is the most awesome card of this set. Many options, upgrades the politics and offers a unique effect (plus this is the only format it's playable at to boot).

Viral Drake 3U
Creature - Drake (U)
Flying
3U: Proliferate
1/4

Besides being a flying Phage, unlimited proliferate should probably have many more infinite combos... (works well with Etched Monstrosity from this set) I need to check exactly what are they but since I love combos and alternate win conditions this will probably get in.

Psychic Barrier UU
Instant
Counter target creature spell. It's controller loses 1 life.

Better than Remove soul. Large stacks like mine (~400) will probably play this.
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 05:07:11 PM »

I did think about the Drake, but honestly, I couldn't find any cards with counters on the top of my head, which tells me there are probably not enough for it to be good.

Oh, I got one... Tornadooooooooooooooo

Actually... it's kinda cool, you can deal 9999 damage with those...
Metamind
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 06:17:53 AM »

I completed the research on Viral Drake.

Really good with:

Djinn of Wishes (I play my deck NOW)
Myojin of Seeing Winds (infy cards)
Decree of Silence (no more spells can be played)
Vampiric Dragon (can easily be infinity/infinity)
Miraculous Recovery
Phantom Nishoba
Ashling the Pilgrim
Blood Tyrant
Sorin Markov
Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker

Cool with:

Myojin of Night's Reach
Myojin of Life's Web
Myojin of Infinite Rage
Myojin of Cleansing Fire
Bloodchief Ascension
Luminarch Ascension
Blightsteel Collosus (if it didn't finish off somebody now it did)

Has some cornerstone interactions with:

Lighthouse Chronologist
Transcendent Master

Good (or has some uses) against:
Tornado
Dark Depths (forces them to sac in response to the drake or kill the drake)
Fevered Convulsions (they cannot weaken creatures, only kill)

Is that enough? IDK, I want to try it out anyway since it's strong on its own
Lysyc12
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 03:11:31 AM »

I think this makes another solid additon, possibly supplanting Duplicant:

Phyrexian Ingester    {6} {U}

Creature - Beast    

Imprint - When Phyrexian Ingester enters the battlefield, you may exile target nontoken creature.
Phyrexian Ingester gets +X/+Y, where X is the exiled creature card's power and Y is its toughness.

3/3

And if anyone still plays Clone (like me) or Sculpting Steel, you could replace it with this:

Phyrexian Metamorph   {3}{pu}
Artifact Creature - Shapeshifter    

({PU} can be paid with either {U} or 2 life.)
You may have Phyrexian Metamorph enter the battlefield as a copy of any artifact or creature on the battlefield, except it's an artifact in addition to its other types.

0/0

Also, I kinda love Viral Drake.  I've been looking for some reason to put Proliferate in my stack and he seems like the perfect candidate.  Plenty scary on its own, and some cool interactions here and there.  It is a shame there wasn't somewhere between too weak and degenerate for Proliferate in T4 since infinite activations seems crazy, but I still look forward to giving him a shot.  He can even be used to save Planeswalkers from any amount of damage at instant speed!
Farandar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 05:40:19 AM »

I added a lot of cards from the SoM block. All my protectors are now filled, and as I don't wanna buy anymore, all new additions will be upgrade of existing cards.

To lend ideas, I upgraded Blind with anger with Act of aggression.

I don't know what to think about Phyrexian Ingester. It avoids Artifact removal but is colored. Repliquant can be tutored through Eye of ugin also. Don't know what is best, actually.

Viral drake is the kind of card "not that good" imho : it's very very situationnal. It can swarm the board with Pentavus, which I only included in my stack because of Electropotence... But I seriously thin about let the Pentavus get out at first solid occasion...

Metamind
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 04:27:30 PM »

Viral drake is the kind of card "not that good" imho : it's very very situationnal. It can swarm the board with Pentavus, which I only included in my stack because of Electropotence... But I seriously thin about let the Pentavus get out at first solid occasion...
It has infect itself so at its worst it's a flying phage
Mr. Type 4
Creator of Type 4
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011, 12:10:30 PM »

Noxious Revival might be good enough as a "free" spell. 

2008 VINTAGE CHAMPION
Team Meandeck

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: