TheManaDrain.com
October 31, 2014, 08:23:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Archenemy in T4  (Read 1628 times)
Lysyc12
Basic User

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2010, 09:11:15 PM »

So I've gotten my hands on some Archenemy schemes and I think that they would be absolutely awesome with Type 4.  The only problem is, the only thing that seems to keep my Type 4 games balanced is the fact that it is a multiplayer game and politics are a factor. 

I tried a straight up Archenemy game with my regular Type 4 Stack (using one of each scheme that isn't either useless or broken with infinite mana) and the Archenemy got blown out of the water!  Nearly ever spell he cast got countered and it was over really fast (think Ulamog and Marit Lage with four players worth of countermagic backup fast).  We all agreed it was lame.  I really want to find some way to make it work (as the schemes were really cool) but I just don't know.  Any thoughts on ways it could be balanced out?
Godder
Remington Steele
Administrator
Basic User

"Steele here"

walfootrot@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 10:14:44 PM »

Allow the archenemy to cast more than one spell per turn, and perhaps draw 2 cards per turn?

Quote from: Remington Steele
That's what I like about you, Laura - you're always willing to put my neck on the line.
Farandar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 11:39:39 AM »

Allow the archenemy play as many spells as he wants. After all, he has 3 opponents, and he has to handle a normal hand size.

Lysyc12
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 04:16:24 PM »

Thanks a lot guys.  I was already thinking about doing something along similar lines, but I was curious as to what others thought about it.  Has anyone else tried this variant? 
Yugi_Moto03
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 09:24:49 AM »

You might want to specifically modify the cards in your stack specifically for Archenemy play.

Degenerate spells like Door to Nothingness, Firebreathers, X-based direct damage or token producers, Legacy Weapon, and Alternate Casting Cost spells like Shining Shoal, Force of Will and Decree of Silence should only be usable by the Archenemy. (Just don't use degenerate spells that can kill multiple players in one turn. One per turn at most)

It'll take a few games to tune this properly.

The Archenemy could also draw two spells per turn. This way, the ones trying to stop him will have a real challenge on their hands.

An alternative to this is a variant where everyone gets to use schemes:

Any player may skip his standard draw for that turn, and instead exile the top card of his library in order to play a scheme. Advantage here is that schemes can't be countered. Disadvantage of course is that you can never tell what scheme you'll turn over, so that keeps things in check. Of course, you'll need a lot of schemes in case people go scheme happy.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: