TheManaDrain.com
August 23, 2014, 02:17:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: M11  (Read 6079 times)
Lysyc12
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2010, 11:06:58 AM »

Redirection       {U} {U}
Instant    
You may choose new targets for target spell.

What about this guy?  The big thing here is you can use it on spells with more than one target. 
BC
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2010, 01:20:31 PM »

A non-free Misdirection?  Not good enough.  What spell has more than one target that you would want to Misdirect?  Rack and Ruin?  Fire/Ice? 
Rubik_3x3x3
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2010, 04:21:09 PM »

I like the Evocation, we'll see if being a symmetrical effect proves too costly. I'll certainly be trying it, though.

The Redirection is plenty good. Most people run several Misdirection-type effects, and this one is top of the line. I can't tell whether it will get Standard play, I feel like the UU cost makes it feel strong when compared to other UU instant staples and might be tricking me.
Lysyc12
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2010, 05:42:40 PM »

Not up on the spoiler yet, but seems alright

Stormtide Leviathan   {5} {U} {U} {U}

Islandwalk
All lands are Islands in addition to their original type.
Creatures without flying or islandwalk can't attack.
8/8

This one is particularly good if you play the whole "non-T4 mana not counting towards your spell limit rule."  Suddenly, your cheap countermagic is potentially free depending on your land count.  If you don't play that rule, Blazing Archon is probably just better.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 11:42:30 PM by Lysyc12 » Logged
Rubik_3x3x3
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2010, 01:45:46 AM »

8/8 stopping attacks will make it in some stacks.

How about the new land?

Mystifying Maze
Land   
T: Add 1 to your mana pool

4, T: Exile target attacking creature an opponent controls. At the beginning of the next end step, return it to the battlefield tapped under its owner's control.

Not sure if the effect is big enough, but I always feel that things are better as lands. It's a bit Prahv-esque.
Farandar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2010, 03:29:38 AM »

The Island Sanctuary Leviathan is nice, but not tremendous.

The low cost maze of ith is a very weak version of the Dark land. It can even turn out to be dangerous since it glimpses the attacking creature.

A good thing still because of its uncounterable body, but not that huge.

Wild evocation is nice but I wonder if it's not a bit dangerous, since all of your opponents take advantage of it before you (unless you Time stretch, Wild evocation, enjoy the thing at your free turn #2 and cast something... quite narrow).

Metamind
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »

Redirection seems like a staple to me. Even if it was just another misdirection it would make my stack but I think the ability to change all the targets makes it better than anything but Misdirection itself in that department. It won't always act differently. Deflecting violent Ultimatum, Relic Crush, Double Negative or even other misdirection spells like Shunt will not happen often or consistently, but when it does it should be really powerful.

Wild Evocation seems nice because it forces them to play the spell, which probably means the next few mass removals will nuke down everything. OTOH, if players don't have enough mass removals, the game will be very hard for everyone to keep under control. This is what I want my game-altering effects to be like. Is there a way to cast a spell in response to the trigger so that if they reveal a counter they will have to counter your spell?

I will play Leviathan, but I'm not sure it's so strong. It would be better if it was like the Archon - people cannot attack you but are welcomed to attack your opponents. The Archon is not Glarecaster level, because it doesn't have the combo kill, but is good enough anyway, I believe.

Reverberate RR
Instant    Rare
Copy target instant or sorcery spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
A reprint of Fork. I don't have the original (only Twincast and Reiterate) so I will play it if I get one.

Mass Polymorph   5U
Sorcery     Rare
Exile all creatures you control, then reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal that many creature cards. Put all creature cards revealed this way onto the battlefield and shuffle the rest into your library.
Unlike Warp World, I think this card does have some merit. It is very situational though, so probably it still doesn't make the cut.
Farandar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2010, 08:52:48 AM »

Wild Evocation seems nice because it forces them to play the spell, which probably means the next few mass removals will nuke down everything. OTOH, if players don't have enough mass removals, the game will be very hard for everyone to keep under control. This is what I want my game-altering effects to be like.
Agreed, but for my chaos deck, not my T4 stack, for reasons explained above.

Reverberate RR
Instant    Rare
Copy target instant or sorcery spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
A reprint of Fork. I don't have the original (only Twincast and Reiterate) so I will play it if I get one.
There's a difference here with fork : Fork produce a RED copy of the spell it xeroxes. Here the copy is plain twin of the copied spell. Don't know if this is relevant, but I stumble upon this practical difference...

Metamind
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2010, 11:01:36 AM »

Yes, Evocation is like the perfect card for chaos stack. This is also very good in some other variant formats, some of which we play so I'd really like to get one.

About fork - good to know, I wouldn't have noticed this by myself.

To all the people who offered green removals that can kill Gaea's Revenge earlier in this thread - I no longer play Desert Twister but if Revenge raises Twister's powerlevel (Revenge does get to swing once before you can kill it), he is a welcomed addition. Putrefy is indeed a good answer.
Farandar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2010, 11:28:06 AM »

About fork - good to know, I wouldn't have noticed this by myself.
Neither would I Wink

Lysyc12
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2010, 04:13:45 PM »

While Redirection will likely typically act as a regular Misdirection-type spell, I was surprised how many cards in my stack have multiple targets to be messed with, which I often wouldn't be able to touch with Misdirection:

All Suns' Dawn
Betrayal of Flesh (unlikely, but possible)
Cruel Revival
Cryptic Command
Death Denied
Double Negative
Dregs of Sorrow
Grab the Reins
Kaboom!
Orim's Thunder
Relic Crush
Soul Manipulation
Suffer the Past
Suffocating Blast
Violent Ultimatum

That's enough to add that in with the only other cards of the type I currently play: Misdirection and Wild Ricochet.
Mr. Type 4
Creator of Type 4
Full Members
Basic User

Creator of Type 4 - Discoverer of Steve Menendian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2010, 02:10:10 PM »

Tornado is an old-school favorite that will kill Gaea's Avenger.  If you dont know what it is, you need one in your stack =)

2008 VINTAGE CHAMPION
2013 NYSE OPEN I CHAMPION
Team Meandeck

Mastriano's the only person I know who can pick up chicks and win magic tournaments at the same time.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: