TheManaDrain.com
April 24, 2014, 02:12:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: M11  (Read 5579 times)
Farandar
Basic User

View Profile
M11
« on: June 10, 2010, 10:15:01 AM »

No need to tag [T4] anymore.

Here we are, a new set, and a new card. Not that big, but well, not that bad either :

Ancient Hellkite 4RRR
Creature - Dragon (Rare)
Flying
R: Ancient Hellkite deals 1 damage to target creature defending player controls. Activate this ability only if Ancient Hellkite is attacking.
6/6

A 6/6 Flying dragon is always nice, having it clear the board on attacking is not bad. Still missing Haste to be just powerful enough, but balanced.

Seen anything else ?

spcleddy
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 12:02:01 PM »

Jace's Ingenuity 3uu
Instant
Draw three cards.

Poor man's Ancestral Recall.

Also, Sun Titan is reusable yet limited graveyard recursion. Trying to think of what this could get back...8.5 Tails, Wicked Akuba, Combat Medic??? It would have to have enough powerful targets. Probably not worth it now, but over time it could become more attractive.
Farandar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 03:16:07 PM »

For those who haven't seen it yet
Name:  Sun Titan
Cost: {4}{W}{W}
Type: Creature - Giant
Pow/Tgh: 6/6
Rules Text: Vigilance
Whenever Sun Titan enters the battlefield or attacks, you may return target permanent card with converted mana cost 3 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield.
Flavor Text: A blazing sun that never sets.
Illus. Chris Rahn Rarity: Mythic Rare Set Number: #35/249

Sun Titan looks nice. I just a made a quick browsing of my stack list, and here are the current targets for Sun titan I have and that you didn't mention. Beware, you might find some awful combos.
All the lands :
 1 [WWK] Bojuka Bog
        1  Boseiju, Who Shelters All
        1 [WWK] Eye of Ugin
        1  Karakas
        1  Kher Keep
        1  Kor Haven
        1  Maze of Ith
        1  Miren, the Moaning Well
        1  Orzhova, the Church of Deals
        1  Prahv, Spires of Order
        1  Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion
        1  Svogthos, the Restless Tomb
        1  Urza's Factory
        1  Winding Canyons
but also... DARK DEPTHS !!!

You could also play Tomb of Urami and Gargoyle Castle as recursive chump blockers generators. And you can, of course, add Strip mine, Dust bowl, Barbarian ring, Rath's edge, MOuth of ronom, Glacial chasm (you don't have to pay the cumulaive upkeep since your sun titan brings the land back when it attacks - and it can, since you didn't pay the upkeep...) But these aren't useful by themselves, so you might only consider them with a specific kind of stack. But then, why not ?

Others non-lands targets featured in my stack are :
Armistice
Plague boiler
 Conclave of the specimages
 Tortured existence
 Reito lantern
 Tormod's crypt & relic of prog' (want to destroy each graveyard on every turn ?)
 FLickerform
 Electropotence
 Endbringer's revel
 Protective sphere
 Skinthinner
Transcendant master (although I don't have it in my stack,I know a lot of you guys love it)
all the wizard family : Voidmage apprentice, Willbender, VOIDMAGE PRODIGY, Aven mindcensor, lighthouse chronologist, mistmeadow witch, Ertai, wizard thingy, Azorius Ghildmage : all these are awful if able to come back every turn...
Smokespew invoker
 Dimir doppleganger
Plaguebearer
 Kira, great glasspinner.

Boy. I didn't realize, but this Sun Titan guy does have some potential. He's a bit slow but might be worth it since it DOES have plenty of targets, and could only have more in the future. You can even imagine drafting a low mana cost deck with wizards, sun titan, lands and Sunforger... which is a target too !

I WANT ONE !!!

Jace's Recall is a less powerful... Opportunity (4UU, instant target players draw four). But it can be targeted by brainspoil's transmute. Not that bad.

spcleddy
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 09:09:28 PM »

Reading new cards is tech...thought it was creatures with cmc 3 or less. Definitely belongs in the stack now.
Rubik_3x3x3
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 06:14:04 PM »

Reading new cards is tech...thought it was creatures with cmc 3 or less. Definitely belongs in the stack now.
Lmao. Reading ftw.

I don't see how the Hellkite is much different from Novablast Wurm out of WWK. It is Plague Wind vs Wrath, basically, except the Hellkite has to target, which is often relevant.

Sun Titan is decent, but there's better stuff. There isn't a ton of 3 or less CMC I want back, plus graveyard-based plays are easily stopped, and then you're stuck with a vigilant 6/6. It's good, but probably not worth it.

The instant draw-3 is probably good enough for any stack, given the lack of instant-speed draw there is for more than 2 cards.

I hope we get something good, but I doubt it out of a base set. Maybe some 6 CMC Wrath would be nice, and some flashy creature. Can't expect anything better than that, but we can hope.
spcleddy
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 03:37:19 PM »

I want instant draw 3 at EOT every game...card draw is some good in T4!

Still thinking about Sun Titan. I go back and forth on it because it has to have enough targets just to work AND it has to have enough sexy targets that make you want to play it. Right now I'm looking at Dark Depths, but I don't know.... Certainly it gets better over time as WOTC prints more cards.
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 04:10:04 PM »

Sun Titan isn't that great actualy, yes there are targets for it, but they need to be in your graveyard and relevant. He's ok, but don't think he's good enough to make the cut.

I don't see how the Hellkite is much different from Novablast Wurm out of WWK. It is Plague Wind vs Wrath, basically, except the Hellkite has to target, which is often relevant.

Ancient Hellkite 4RRR
Creature - Dragon (Rare)
Flying
R: Ancient Hellkite deals 1 damage to target creature defending player controls. Activate this ability only if Ancient Hellkite is attacking.
6/6

He can only clear the board for 1 player, and only when attacking, I find that very limited, he's a bad pinger with a ok body, still not enough for me.

Jace's Ingenuity is actually better than Recall since it doesn't target, and with MisD, Shunt, Willbender around, well, it still probably won't make a big difference, but it's there.

Reassembling Skeleton
   1b
Creature - Skeleton Warrior    Uncommon
1{B}: Return Reassembling Skeleton from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.

I have a feeling this one would be a lot more annoying than anything else, but he's still a decent never go away guy.

Crystal Ball
Artifact    Uncommon
1, {T}: Scry 2.

This one is funny more than anything else, but would it be better or worse than let's say Jayemeday Tome?

Delha
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 04:34:34 PM »

Crystal Ball
Artifact    Uncommon
1, {T}: Scry 2.

This one is funny more than anything else, but would it be better or worse than let's say Jayemeday Tome?
Worse, presumably.

I suppose it's mostly the thought that this format is just one big Mistake; and not even a very sophisticated one at that.
Much like humanity itself.
Rubik_3x3x3
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 01:44:06 AM »

Ancient Hellkite 4RRR
Creature - Dragon (Rare)
Flying
6/6

He can only clear the board for 1 player, and only when attacking, I find that very limited, he's a bad pinger with a ok body, still not enough for me.

Ya, I was trying to say it's strictly worse than the Wurm, which isn't very good.

I agree the scry 2 every turn won't be worth running, and the Sun Titan just doesn't have enough targets. It might be something we have to dig up a few sets from now, depending what kind of new goodies we get in the future.
Lysyc12
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 02:30:54 AM »

Gaea's Revenge     {5} {G} {G} {G}
Creature - Elemental

Gaea's Revenge can't be countered.
Haste
Gaea's Revenge can't be the target of nongreen spells or abilities from nongreen sources.

8/5

I realize it's just a big dumb fatty, but it is an AMAZING big dumb fatty!

Grave Titan       {4} {B} {B}
Creature - Giant 

Deathtouch
Whenever Grave Titan enters the battlefield or attacks, put two 2/2 black Zombie creature tokens onto the battlefield.

6/6

Probably a bit weak, but it can pump out quite the hoard of little helpers.
Farandar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 06:38:54 AM »

Creature - Elemental

Haste
Gaea's Revenge can't be the target of nongreen spells or abilities from nongreen sources.

8/5
On paper, looks like one of the best creatures printed recently (I mean, in the big guys family). Can't figure out what can destroy it except for Pulse of the maelstrom and terrastodon. Well there is Putrify, too.

Nice addition at first glance, will need some counter advices Wink

Metamind
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 06:51:06 AM »

M11 already exceeded my expectations (granted, they were low).

My opinions so far:

The bad:

Anyone that thinks Ancient Hellkite is playable has the "I play too few creatures with annihilator" syndrome. Really, last set had more than five cards that are nearly strictly better than it.

I don't think Sun Titan has enough targets, and I am skeptical it ever will. But most of us will get the prerelease version for free so if you think it's good just throw it in.

Crystal Ball is a fun card, but not as good as Jayemdae Tome, and it's not worth casting over a creature/ enchantment/ sorcery/ a better artifact.

The good:

Jace's Ingenuity - an obvious staple. Cannot complain here. Instant card draw makes the game run smoother and every deck wants some.

Gaea's Revenge - I think it's slightly better than Akroma. Attacking for eight a turn and cannot be countered are obvious advantages. Shroud from everything nongreen is better than protection from red and black in terms of untargetability. It even evades Ulamog's trigger. What green can actually do stop it anyway?
There a few downsides too. It's worse in combat, if that happens often in your stack. A lack of first strike and less toughness will hurt. It can be blocked much more easily, lacking flying and protection, and when it is, it lacks trample. For the sake of fairness it also dies to a few cards that akroma lives through like Inferno and Starstorm.
So, it's probably a lot worse as a finisher that you want to rely on it to kill players, or remove large chunks of life over a few attacks. But at delivering the death sentence, which is usually what akroma is played like most often here - attacking players with six or less life, it's quite a bit better. Point it at a player with no creatures out and eight or less life (which is not a hard requirement around here), and he has nearly nothing to do against it. You should feel pretty safe with a hand full of counters and removals then this card hits you. It's like a sorcery eight damage burn spell that cannot be countered, can be reanimated for more and leaves a sizable body behind. I like it.

Grave Titan - I agree it's not the best, but many people run One Dozen Eyes and the like and this is a better option.

Worth mentioning:

Reassembling Skeleton - It has a high combo potential. It's not anywhere near strong enough on it's own though and there are not enough ways to win with this guy on board yet but it's worth keeping in mind for the future. Maybe a new mechanic will come out and break it for type 4. It's common so it's worth picking one up.
Godder
Remington Steele
Administrator
Basic User

"Steele here"

walfootrot@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 08:42:03 AM »

Desert Twister can destroy Gaea's Revenge.

Quote from: Remington Steele
That's what I like about you, Laura - you're always willing to put my neck on the line.
DubDub
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 02:20:13 PM »

Creature - Elemental

Haste

8/5
On paper, looks like one of the best creatures printed recently (I mean, in the big guys family). Can't figure out what can destroy it except for Pulse of the maelstrom and terrastodon. Well there is Putrify, too.

Nice addition at first glance, will need some counter advices Wink
Terastodon can't hit creatures.  Bant Charm can 'kill'.  Beserk can 'kill' it.  Death Mutation gets value.

Fact or Fiction - Success!
Farandar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 02:28:21 PM »

My bad for terrastodon.

Desert twister and death mutation are both Sorceries. Sad
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 11:16:26 AM by Farandar » Logged

Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 03:41:27 PM »

My bad for terrastodon.

Desert twister and death mutation are both ritual. Sad

They're called Sorceries my French speaking friend  Wink
Farandar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2010, 03:42:32 PM »

Razz

Farandar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010, 03:20:04 AM »

So. Now I'm fully awake, and shouldn't miss "defending" in any rule box text, or build sound-kinda-english words from french ones.

What do you think about THIS ?

Decent flying body, and seducing abilities... which I can't say if they're worth it or no. You can smash the Angel EOT and attack at your turn + cast something. I'd said it's not very interesting by itself, but can be very impressive with, say, deathless angel, Armored guardian, Height and half tails...

What do you think ?

spcleddy
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2010, 11:13:10 AM »

Sun Titan + Reassembling Skeleton = epic fail

Angelic Arbiter is a 5/6 flyer. She will die very quickly, rarely be relevant, and never do damage.
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2010, 01:05:09 PM »

Angelic Arbiter is a 5/6 flyer. She will die very quickly, rarely be relevant, and never do damage.

Agreed, it's a cute effect, but will not really be that bothering, people will just choose to attack (probably you, hoping you will block with the Angel) or cast a spell, it does nothing for instants. Not really great.
Farandar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2010, 02:22:21 PM »

Sun Titan + Reassembling Skeleton = epic fail

Hu ? Didn't get that one.

You confirmed what I felt about the angel. Thanx guys.

Farandar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2010, 05:07:22 AM »

Here are some news.
I just mention them because they are big, not necessarily good.
Demon of death's gate 6 {B} {B} {B}
Creature - Demon
You may pay 6 life and sacrifice 3 black creatures as an ACC

Flying, trample

9/9

Acc is not relevant for this one, but Grozoth targetable, 9/9 flying trample.

Phylactery Lich  {B} {B} {B}
Creature - Zombie (R)
As Phylactery Lich enters the battlefield, put a Phylactery counter on an artifact you control.
Phylactery Lich is indestructible.
When you control no permanents with phylactery counters on them, sacrifice Phylactery Lich.
5/5
Sounds fun with another indestructible permanent on the board : quite narrow for not such a big thing.

Unless one of you see a tricky use of these...

Delha
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2010, 12:16:44 PM »

Phylactery Lich  {B} {B} {B}
Creature - Zombie (R)
As Phylactery Lich enters the battlefield, put a Phylactery counter on an artifact you control.
Phylactery Lich is indestructible.
When you control no permanents with phylactery counters on them, sacrifice Phylactery Lich.
5/5
Sounds fun with another indestructible permanent on the board : quite narrow for not such a big thing.

Unless one of you see a tricky use of these...
Interesting. I was going to suggest an artifact with shroud. In checking just now, I think Inkwell Leviathan is the one ever printed.

I suppose it's mostly the thought that this format is just one big Mistake; and not even a very sophisticated one at that.
Much like humanity itself.
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2010, 02:08:50 PM »

It's still a very average creature with no abilities that causes card disadvantage if your artifact gets destroyed, and you need an artifact on the battlefield to play it.

Pure junk for T4, but the flavor it incredibly cool.

Lysyc12
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2010, 12:52:43 AM »

Sweet tap-dancing Moses!

Leyline of Anticipation   {2} {U} {U}

Enchantment

If Leyline of Anticipation is in your opening hand, you may begin the game with it on the battlefield.
You may cast nonland cards as though they had flash.

Wow.  Vedalken Orrery though whole game!  Paints a big ol target on your head, but then again, so does the Orerry.
Rubik_3x3x3
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2010, 01:05:21 AM »

Sweet tap-dancing Moses!

Leyline of Anticipation   {2} {U} {U}

Enchantment

If Leyline of Anticipation is in your opening hand, you may begin the game with it on the battlefield.
You may cast nonland cards as though they had flash.

Wow.  Vedalken Orrery though whole game!  Paints a big ol target on your head, but then again, so does the Orerry.

Enchantments seem just a tad harder to remove, as well. Shouldn't be too good in standard, not really worth wasting a card to instant a Cruel Ultimatum, so this thing will be $.25 and uber powerful. VERY exciting. Can't ask much more of M11 than this baby. Leyline cycle in the works, I assume? I'm pumped now. Very Happy
Farandar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2010, 07:11:07 AM »

Shouldn't be too good in standard, not really worth wasting a card to instant a Cruel Ultimatum, so this thing will be $.25 and uber powerful.

Alara is out of standard in October with the coming of Mirrodin 2. As far as I can see from standard players, the hype about this enchantment is very high so get a copy quick for your stack or you might be stuck with a b& proxy for a long time.
Who knows what could be done with an all-instant maker for free ?

Rubik_3x3x3
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2010, 02:55:29 PM »

Shouldn't be too good in standard, not really worth wasting a card to instant a Cruel Ultimatum, so this thing will be $.25 and uber powerful.

Alara is out of standard in October with the coming of Mirrodin 2. As far as I can see from standard players, the hype about this enchantment is very high so get a copy quick for your stack or you might be stuck with a b& proxy for a long time.
Who knows what could be done with an all-instant maker for free ?

Don't worry, it won't be important unless some combo deck comes around. It's good for free, but not for 4 mana and multiple copies are dead cards. I'm just glad Flores didn't review it and hype it up. Everyone thought Tattermunge Maniac was going to be great. It wasn't. This won't be either.
Farandar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2010, 02:35:15 AM »

Not as good as its blue counterpart, red one is more a chaos deck thing than anything else.
Name:  Leyline of Punishment  Cost: 2{R}{R} Type: Enchantment Rules Text: If Leyline of Punishment is in your opening hand, you may begin the game with it on the battlefield.

Players can't gain life.

Damage can't be prevented. Illus. Charles Urbach Rarity: Rare Set Number: #148/249

Waiting for the other parts of the cycle. Edit : Black leyline of the cycle is... Leyline of the void... Good reprint, but with no use for T4 stacks.

This one is not bad :
Name:  Vengeful Archon  Cost: 4{W}{W}{W} Type: Creature - Archon Pow/Tgh: 7/7 Rules Text: Flying

{X}: Prevent the next X damage that would be dealt to you this turn. If damage is prevented this way, Vengeful Archon deals that much damage to target player. Illus. Greg Staples Rarity: Rare Set Number: #37/249
It's a fatty glarecaster. The main difference is : it can protect itself or buddies. Have to see if it can replace one of my glarecaster-like.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 02:51:02 AM by Farandar » Logged

Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2010, 09:27:24 AM »

The Archon makes it in for sure, he's big and you basically cannot be killed when he is in play. Almost on par with Glarecaster due to much bigger body.

This is very interesting, kind of like Yet another Vortex, speeds the game up a lot! You don't even get a choice to cast it! Great if someone is playing Phage Razz

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: