TheManaDrain.com
September 30, 2014, 10:50:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Type 4 + Planechase?  (Read 3159 times)
Public Service
Basic User

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2009, 12:13:18 AM »

Planechase could be sooooo good in type four, but it doesn't quite work under the current rules. With infinite mana you could role the plane dice as many times as you want. Does anyone have any solutions? Maybe just allow 2 rolls of the die every turn?
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 07:51:53 AM »

I'd say allow one roll every turn and if you happen to draft lands, you can use them for another.

I'll propose that next time we play T4, it might me fun.
Lysyc12
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 01:41:55 PM »

I've been thinkng about this for a while myself.  I think 2-3 rolls per turn would be the best solution.  Also, given my stack's usual size of 6 players or so, I think it would be best to have one communal planar deck.  I'm currently trying to get one going myself, though I think I'll pass on buying Elemental Thunder, as really Isle of Vesuva is the only plane from that deck which is any good in Type 4.  Zombie Empire and Metallic Dreams, on the other hand, are almost all great!
Wobbles
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 06:49:07 PM »

I think giving the option of skipping your sorcery for the turn to roll the dice 6 or so times might be fine, especially if players get the first two rolls free. It definitely encourages players to draft more instants, which is always a plus, and depending on the stack it's easy to get into situations where you just don't have many good options during your turn (hand full of removal/counter spells). Of course, it also leads to situations where everyone just sits back, rolls twice and waits for an opponent to blink or the Plane roll to give them the upper hand.
Public Service
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 02:25:49 PM »

I want the planes cards but not the other cards that come with the theme decks. *goes to scour ebay*

I have the old vanguard cards but my group never wanted to play with them. I can see their point - they were very unbalanced. They're good if you pick a vanguard avatar then then draft the stack, so you can draft with your avatar in mind. But recently we've mostly been cutting the stack up and just playing rather than drafting.
jro
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 01:38:42 AM »

I think "Skip the next time you could play a spell," might be a good cost for an additional die roll, with a limit saying that you can't skip your next turn's ability to play a spell.  So, you could roll, then skip your sorcery to roll, then roll once more for each other player in the game.  Or, you could roll, play your sorcery, then roll once more for each other player in the game.  It's a little complicated, but not too bad to keep track of-- something like "Alice can't play a spell until Dave's turn."
Elfer
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 08:13:52 AM »

I like the idea of sacrificing resources for additional rolls. Has anyone considered replacing the mana requirements with a life payment? One life for one mana seems steep, but what about a half point of life?
Anusien
Adepts
Basic User

Anusien
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 10:36:55 AM »

What if you took the dice out of it?  In addition to the one spell per turn, during your turn when the stack is empty, you can Planeswalk once per turn and you can activate the Chaos symbol once per turn.  That way Planechase is pure add.  And you have the added strategic decisions of whether to walk or not, and whether to activate a sure thing or try for something better.

And I'd either put all the planes together in one random stack or let players rochester the list of planes after the normal draft.

Magic Level 3 Judge
Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote from: H.L. Mencken
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule.
Harlequin
Full Members
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 10:26:23 AM »

Yeah I don't like the idea of the dice.  I've actually been playing type4 with a "chaos stack" for years and years.  What we do is when more than half of the people in the game have played thier spell for turn, in ONE turn we flip the stack.  So in a 6 person game, "more than half" would be 4.  So we play normal type 4, and count the "spells for turn" played in one turn.  If 4 spells are played in a single turn, the stack flips (with splitsecond).  *Note you kinda have to rig the stack to be really instant heavy.  I would say our stack about 40-50% instants.

I would use this same idea, and incorporate Planar-Points to govern the Chaos ability.

So Same thing as above when the Xth spell has been played in on turn, we immediately flip the planechased stack.  

Then I would say everyone has two abilites they could use in place of your spell for turn.
Instant -- Gain 1 Plane-Point
Sorcery -- Gain 5 plane-Points

Then just do something like, for 6 plane-points you can force the shift, and for 3 plane-points you can activate the chaos ability.

Lastly, If people seem to just be "hording" points waiting for a good flip in the hopes of blasting a bunch of points into a kill.   You could impose a tax.  Something like, as the planechased stack is flipped, everyone loses 1/2 of thier Plane-points rounded up.  Or do a scaleing thing like the costs are doubled each time you activate the chaos... that might just be simpiler.  

What I like about this is that it sets up dynamic tention between wanting to chase away the current plane for free (ie cast instants) as well as wanting to save up point and activating the instant every turn.

Member of Team ~ R&D ~
Elfer
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 09:19:01 AM »

I think it would be less fun without rolling. I mean, if there's no rolling, where's the gamblin'?
Public Service
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 02:47:17 PM »

I agree, I think I'll try a simple rule of up-to two rolls a turn.
Farandar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 06:13:03 AM »

The simpler the better :
you can roll as usual when you're allowed to by normal Planechase Rules.
You can't use your Infinite T4 Mana to reroll;
You can use any other mana produced by any spell, effect or so to reroll : Mana drain, scattering stroke, Altar of shadows, Kor haven or whatever land...

So speaked me Wink

Shalafi
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 08:50:51 PM »

Here is what we do and it goes over great:

1st time: Free
2nd time during your turn: pay 1 life
3rd time during your turn: pay 2 life

etc. 

Try it!
Pages: [1]