TheManaDrain.com
November 26, 2014, 07:31:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Type 4] Zendikar  (Read 6792 times)
VikingMetal4L
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2009, 01:18:35 AM »

Okay I'll bite and post mine too (171 at Sally, and there's Digges' underwhelming preview today).

DEFINITE:
Iona, Shield of the Emeria
Into the Roil
Lorthos, the Tidemaker
Mindbreak Trap
Rite of Replication
Electropotence
Summoning Trap

QUESTION MARKS:
Conqueror's Pledge?
Kalitas, Bloodchief of Ghet?
Needlebite Trap?
Elemental Appeal?

If there's a critical mass of good traps in the block, then also Trapmaker's Snare and Ravenous Trap.
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2009, 07:12:41 AM »

Okay I'll bite and post mine too (171 at Sally, and there's Digges' underwhelming preview today).

DEFINITE:
Iona, Shield of the Emeria
Into the Roil
Lorthos, the Tidemaker
Mindbreak Trap
Rite of Replication
Electropotence
Summoning Trap

QUESTION MARKS:
Conqueror's Pledge?
Kalitas, Bloodchief of Ghet?
Needlebite Trap?
Elemental Appeal?

If there's a critical mass of good traps in the block, then also Trapmaker's Snare and Ravenous Trap.

Elemental Appeal
Conqueror's Pledge

Those two should definitively be in, simple big beats and extremely political.

Another one that might be worth a shot.
World Queller
   3ww
Creature - Avatar    Rare
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may choose a card type. If you do, each player sacrifices a permanent of that type.
Illus. James Paick #39/249   4/4

If easily deals with all those pesky lands/enchantments/artifacts that no one want to use removal for, since its a relatively small body, chances are it will stay on board a couple of turns. I think it's very good removal.

Sphinx of Lost Truths
   3uu
Creature - Sphinx    Rare
Kicker 1{U} (You may pay an additional 1{U} as you cast this spell)
Flying
When Sphinx of Lost Truths enters the battlefield, draw three cards. Then if it wasn't kicked, discard three cards.
Illus. Shelly Wan #69/249   3/5

Better than Concentrate, pretty on par with Tidings, it's a good card draw with a medium creature attached.

Also, I can't believe no one commented on this.
Bloodchief Ascension
   b
Enchantment    Rare
At the beginning of each player's end step, if an opponent lost 2 or more life this turn, you may put a quest counter on Bloodchief Ascension.
Whenever a card is put into an opponent's graveyard from anywhere, if Bloodchief Ascension has three or more quest counters on it, you may have that player lose 2 life. If you do, you gain 2 life.

This is an auto-include to me, in multiplayer, chances are you will get the 3 counters before your next turn, after that, everything anyone does not only hurts them, but makes you harder and harder to kill. In a game with 4-5 people, you can easily get 2 cards in a graveyard per player turn, gaining you 6-8 life and draining everyone a bit with it.

Farandar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2009, 08:11:01 AM »

So far, here are my choices :

Iona : replaces Symbiotic Wurm. These won't play the same part at all, but the power isn't the same at all neither.
Lorthos the tide maker : replaces Krosan Clouscraper, morph is a nice trick on a 13/13 (since I do have some of these creatures), tapping pretty much everything is not that bad.
Sphinx of lost truths : Replaces Azami, Lady of Scrolls which was nice in the "wizard" deck, but outclassed by the new Sphinx
Mindbreak trap : will replace Spell blast, which had become the wickiest counter of my stack (no counterspell).

Rite of Replication : simple addition to my stack.
Electropotence : Simple addition to my stack
Summoning Trap  : simple addition to my stack
Needlebite Trap : the same
Elemental Appeal : Another political blast

May be, may be not
World Queller : I already play Crack the earth, and I like it as a first after all other first turns. So may be it could make it.
Bloodchief Ascension : there's not so many life gainer in my stack as far as I remember. If I get hands on one, I will include it and see how players react...
Ravenous Trap : interesting as an instant tormod's crypt

Will not make it :
Into the Roil : Nice but already have some of these.
Conqueror's Pledge : what the point of playing this when you can cast and falshback crush of wurms ?
Kalitas, Bloodchief of Ghet : don't like it that much and already have a "Tap-to-destroy" guy in the name of Suncrusher. I like the titan since it can bounce itself and be tutored in by Grozoth. Question of choice and matter of taste, I guess...
Trapmaker's Snare : way too narrow a tutor : I already play Flash of insight, Conflux, Planar Portal and Aladdin's Lamp...

Elfer
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2009, 09:09:06 AM »

Has nobody seen this yet?

Terra Stomper
   3ggg
Creature - Beast    Rare
Terra Stomper can't be countered.
Trample
Sometimes violent earthquakes, hurtling boulders, and unseasonable dust storms are wrongly attributed to the Roil.
Illus. Goran Josic #187/249   8/8

Sadly, this card is likely going to be a powerhouse in aggro decks, so it won't come on the cheap. I'm going to try to snap one up at a rare draft or some such.
Wobbles
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2009, 02:51:51 PM »

No one is on board for Magosi, the Waterveil?
Magosi, the Waterveil
Land

~this~ enters the battlefield tapped
 {U}, {Tap}: Put an eon counter on ~this~.  Skip your next turn.
 {Tap}, Remove an eon counter from ~this~ and return it to its owner's hand: Take an extra turn after this one.

With the exception of time stretch, extra turn cards are something that is sorely missing my type 4, and with good reason. Extra turns aren't that useful when they take your spell to get. This card just does all sorts of crazy things, especially when you have a counter on it and activate it during someones turn half way around the table. I'll take my extra turn NOW thank you.
Farandar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2009, 02:55:40 PM »

How dow you take your extra turn without having skipped one, AND having at last one untap step (and thus one turn) ?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 02:46:59 AM by Farandar » Logged

VikingMetal4L
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2009, 02:33:21 AM »

Wagner, good eye on Bloodchief Ascension--I suspect I dismissed it because of its CMC=1 without being an instant.  Enchantments are freaking awesome though; much more staying power than most creatures.  Hope I get to see someone cast it off Altar of Shadows mana soon.

As for Elemental Appeal, it's a fine card.  It could probably replace Garza Zol or another of the other 5-6 power haste guys.  While I might prefer Garza's ability to cantrip if she connects, maybe I should just get this hopped up Ball Lightning because others at the table will find it more... appealing?

Conqueror's Pledge seems at least on par with the Verdant Force I play, now that I think about it (though outclassed by Storm Herd).  I try not to go overboard on the creatures that don't actually *do* very much, so I hope that doesn't mean the trusty old green elemental gets the boot (wow, there's your big-creature power creep over the years).  In my original reading of Conqueror's Pledge, I was underwhelmed because I was expecting the kicked version to make 20-30 guys by comparison to Rite of Replication and Sadistic Sacrament (but I guess I can't rationally hold that against it).

In summary, I move these token-making sorceries up to the very brink of the "definite" category, but I always wait 'till morning before committing to big decisions like this!

There's also the Double Naturalize, if you're into the whole instants thing (I definitely am).
Farandar
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2009, 03:02:52 AM »

Terra stomper is a nice trampling body, and uncounterable is nice BUT there are a lot of big fatties that do better job.

The double naturalize is nice, good wording a la Double Negative. Unfortunately, so far I can't see anything to get out to get it in. Wreak havoc maybe, but being uncounterable is nice, especially at sorcery speed.

Elfer
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2009, 04:44:46 PM »

Previews today mentioned a card that makes 6 kor soldier tokens, 12 if kicked. Sounds like an auto-include to me.
Mr. Type 4
Creator of Type 4
Full Members
Basic User

Creator of Type 4 - Discoverer of Steve Menendian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2009, 07:43:29 PM »

you guys seemed to hit all the good ones I saw. 

1. Mindbreak Trap: Awesome.  the ability to "Exile" spells is way better than Dissipate.  READ: You can use this to counter uncounterable things!  being able to selectively cut up a stack can be very good compared to Time Stop which forces you to RFG everything - something in that stack could be desireable to you.  Sadly the "freebie" is only granted when "an opponent" plays 3 or more spells, so it will rarely be free in Type 4 unless you add errata.  I won't be errating mine, but enough stuff is free nowadays that it might just get free-played every once in a while. 

2. Iona: Good luck keeping this alive.  Still this is an awesome effect on a strong body.

3. Double Naturalize: Auto Include.

4. Summoning Trap: Nice way to help out someone who got countered.  I like it.

Questionable:

5. Sphinx: could be really good, possibly better than Arcanis.  Unsure.

6. Rite of Replication: could be sick, but sorcery.  not too sure. 

7. Into the Roil: probably have too many of this effect, but a good one.

The rest of this doesn't impress me much, but good set overaLL.

2008 VINTAGE CHAMPION
2013 NYSE OPEN I CHAMPION
Team Meandeck

Mastriano's the only person I know who can pick up chicks and win magic tournaments at the same time.
VikingMetal4L
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2009, 06:24:54 PM »

I make an active effort to be conservative when a new set comes out, but I'm pretty sure the big janky creatures and sorceries from this set are generally stronger than the big janky creatures and sorceries from older sets that I've been running.

I love cantrip bounce a la Repeal and draft it higher than narrow hard removal spells like Unmake.  Multiple people have said they already have too many of these, and I'm wondering for my own sake which ones they're talking about?  Of course there's Resounding Silence and Repeal, and I guess also Cryptic Command (but come on, it's really a counterspell).  Repulse certainly doesn't count, it sucks.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: