TheManaDrain.com
September 30, 2014, 08:51:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tangle Wire and tapped Artifacts - Do they lose their ability?  (Read 3874 times)
chubah
Basic User

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2009, 10:17:23 AM »

I'm builting a Ponza deck and I want to include cards like Tangle Wire, Sphere of Resistance and Ruby Medallion, my question would be:

If I tap a Sphere of Resistance and a Ruby Medallion during my upkeep, due to Tangle Wire, do they lose their abilities or will they still be active? For example will my opponent's spells cost 1 more mana to cast even if the sphere is tapped during his turn?
Shock Wave
Adepts
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 10:57:19 AM »

Tapped artifacts do not lose their abilities, unless specifically stated in the Oracle text for the card. One example of such an artifact is Trinisphere. There are others, but I forget what they are.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." 
- Theodore Roosevelt
Nefarias
Full Members
Basic User

NefariasAndy
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 11:04:34 AM »

Both of those cards still 'work ' when tapped. All spells will still cost one more, and your red spells will cost you one less.

I know a few years back they tried to streamline all the artifacts that "turned off" when they were tapped. I have no clue if there is a way to tell which ones work when tapped and which ones "turn off" outside of just looking them up on Gatherer. It's mostly just older cards, but I'm not sure if there is a rule of thumb. For example, Ruby Medallion works when tapped but Static Orb doesn't, even though they are both from Tempest. Other famous examples of cards that turn off are Howling Mine and Winter Orb (and Trinisphere but that one says it right on the card).

Gatherer's Oracle text will tell you whether or not they work tapped, as will any card that was reprinted after the change (I believe 6th Edition is the starting point).

EDIT: ShockWave beat me to it.

Team GG's

Quote from: Young Jeezy
This will be the realest shit you ever quote
Mr. Type 4
Creator of Type 4
Full Members
Basic User

Creator of Type 4 - Discoverer of Steve Menendian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 02:48:41 PM »

Back in the day all artifacts with global effects turned off when tapped.  They eventually decided to change that during the 6th edition rules overhaul (which is when they created "the stack" too).  Before this change there were a couple popular decks (or at least decks that had been popular at one time.  I think they were mostly played by old-school casual players when the rules change took effect) that used Winter Orb or Howling Mine and then something like Icy Manipulator to turn them off by tapping them.  These changes were grandfathered in and added to oracle so that these classic decks would still work like they always did. 

2008 VINTAGE CHAMPION
2013 NYSE OPEN I CHAMPION
Team Meandeck

Mastriano's the only person I know who can pick up chicks and win magic tournaments at the same time.
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 07:30:18 PM »

As I remember, there was a lot of problem back in the days with that, one of the big examples was Amber Prison.

Amber Prison

Artifact, 4 (4)
You may choose not to untap Amber Prison during your untap step.

{4}, {T}: Tap target artifact, creature, or land. As long as Amber Prison remains tapped, that permanent doesn't untap during its controller's untap step.

Having it tap meant that it would not work, which completely defeated the purpose of the card.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 07:33:19 PM by Wagner » Logged
Clariax
Global Moderator
Basic User

Clariax
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 11:49:03 PM »

Yes, Amber Prison is one of the problem cards that lead to the change in allowing tapped artifacts to work.  Amber Prison has an ability that says you may choose not to untap it.  However, when it was tapped, it would be shut off, including the ability that let you keep it tapped.  So when your Untap Phase (back when it was a phase) came along, there wasn't anything to let you choose not to untap it.  It never actually worked this way because various hand-wavy rulings said it worked how one would expect it to, but those really aren't good, so rules change.

Some artifacts they wanted to be shut off when tapped though, so they simply added a clause to their rules text saying so.  To my knowledge the only cards errataed as such are Winter Orb, Static Orb, Storage Matrix and Howling Mine.

Aaron Cutler
DCI L2
Cleveland, Ohio
Wagner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 09:31:36 AM »

Althought they didn't get an errata, the following cards also have a clause that makes they shut of when tapped: Farsight Mask, Genesis Chamber, Thunderstaff and of course Trinisphere.
Clariax
Global Moderator
Basic User

Clariax
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 11:49:39 AM »

Althought they didn't get an errata, the following cards also have a clause that makes they shut of when tapped: Farsight Mask, Genesis Chamber, Thunderstaff and of course Trinisphere.

That is not a full list, nor is one necessary since any artifacts other than those 4 I mentioned (which is an exhaustive list) which shut off when tapped will say so right on the printed version of the card.

Aaron Cutler
DCI L2
Cleveland, Ohio
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: