TheManaDrain.com
September 19, 2014, 06:54:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Type 4] Pauper stack  (Read 1901 times)
Farandar
Basic User

View Profile
« on: February 20, 2009, 05:23:59 PM »

Hello

May sounds fun to say "pauper" on The Mana Drain, but where else could we talk about Type 4 stacks ? Smile

As a regular Peasant player, this idea came around when building my Type 4 stack. There are so many good cards that common. So many ugly cards that don't even find ways in Drafts. Ugly common cards. Why ugly ? Because nobody ever played Tidewater minion, for instance. There are plenty of these. I don't pretend to find a way to play Coastal Hornclaw, though.
But I'd like to offer a second life to these. Of course, a regular Type 4 would scoff at such things, but what about a common only stack ? A pauper stack ?

I've tried to work this around, and so far, the only difficult thing I've met is the wrath-like aspect. There aren't so many in common, saved for an errated Meteor shower or Fireball (target players only).

The stack should be creature based, since there are so many gems in common rarity :
Rebels
Slivers
Changelins (benefit from Sliver, tutored by rebels !)
Evoke-based Elementals
Morphs
Kicked-enabled creatures (Benalish lancer !!! Llanowar Elite !!!)
Suspended ones

If you ever have some ideas, join in.

I let you know about the stack as soon as I get a list big enough to be brougt to your judgment.

jro
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 06:21:25 PM »

A fine idea, but I must speak in support of Tidewater Minion as it was in many ways the backbone of the very successful Dimir mill deck type during Rav-Rav-Rav drafts.  He let you reuse Vedalken Entrancer while holding the ground.  He's a fine top deck into an empty field.  Hell, he could even accelerate you to 7 mana if you had a bounce land out.

Tidewater Minion ruled.

Also, there's really no point in restricting a Type 4 stack to commons only.  If you need Wrath effects, go ahead and put in Dwarven Catapult (an uncommon), or whatever under-a-dollar janky Wrath clone you like.  Beats playing five copies of Swirling Sandstorm.
Nefarias
Full Members
Basic User

NefariasAndy
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 10:27:07 AM »

I had a no-rares stack for a decent amount of time. I was too cheap to get rares, and too lazy to make proxies, and it worked out alright. The problem was that there was already a "real" stack in the group that we had a lot more fun playing. If you don't already have one of those, this could work.

I would definitely allow uncommons though too; it's just too big of a restriction. When you consider the number of rares in a typical stack, allowing just uncommons and commons still feels pretty "pauper". The biggest thing this would do is give you access to wrath effects. They are mostly mediocre, like Dwarven Catapult and Savage Twister, but since the creatures are weaker too it works out. Another thing this does is gives you more playable instants, which is key because since you are limited to one spell per turn, instants are the best card type in T4. You will find that a "creature-based stack" comes down to much more luck than skill and can be quite boring when you're only relevant on your own turn.

If you want to use all commons for something, a draft cube would probably work out better.

Team GG's

Quote from: Young Jeezy
This will be the realest shit you ever quote
Mr. Type 4
Creator of Type 4
Full Members
Basic User

Creator of Type 4 - Discoverer of Steve Menendian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 03:06:04 PM »

I've seen an all kamigawa stack that was cool so I dont think the idea of running an all common one would be bad should you desire a change of pace from your regular games.  After you amass a core group of commons you want to play you should probably examine the power level of what you have - in Type 4, it's not strange to find extremely broken cards at common, just look at any common fire-breathing cards.  Try to keep the power level consistent. 

Other than that, I doubt that it would be something you'd want to play too many times when a high powered stack is avaliable but it would certainly be interesting to play a lot of unused cards for a change.

2008 VINTAGE CHAMPION
2013 NYSE OPEN I CHAMPION
Team Meandeck

Mastriano's the only person I know who can pick up chicks and win magic tournaments at the same time.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: